1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Difference between XM receivers?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by JerryR, Jul 17, 2007.

1. JerryR

JerryR New Member

I want to get an XM receiver for my 2007 Prius, and in doing research I've seen a couple of different ones offered:

-one from coastaletech
    -one from metrotpn which I believe is a factory standard one
    -one from Factory Interactive
    -one from vaistech

Can anyone tell me if they are all just reselling the Toyota original equipment, or if not, what the differences are?

Second, if one does _not_ have a Nav system, will the XM unit will respond to voice commands?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All the same basic product, each with their own directions (or no directions) for installation, some may have a different antenna or such, but they're all the same thing.

Only one I'm not positive about is the Vaistech one, I've not checked into that, but it's probably the same too.

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have the Vais Tech unit as described here. One major advantage (IMHO) of that over some of the others is that it has a 16-character display. Most of the others reportedly have only 10.

4. JerryR

JerryR New Member

Great, they sound pretty similar, if not identical, then.

Does anyone know whether the XM units support voice input without the Nav system?

5. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  6. b777

b777 New Member

The OEM receiver and fit kit from Metro of Cleveland was a piece of cake to install and the service was excellent. it cost $250.00 plus shipping and I received it in 5 days. Took less than 3 hrs. to install. Directions are picture perfect. I highly recommend. www.metrotpn.com

7. mcontrols

mcontrols New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kinsale @ Jul 18 2007, 03:19 PM) [snapback]481108[/snapback]</div>

I agree. I recently got a kit from Metro and the installation was easy and it works great AND its the official Toyota OEM unit. The hardware is all Panasonic. Be sure to ask them for the 90 day free XM service code so you will have it when you activate the unit.

MC