1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Difference in MFD MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by alexstarfire, Oct 4, 2007.

1. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

OK, while I know we've had countless threads on this subject before I believe this one will be a bit different. As the title would suggest, I'm curious as to why our MFD is inaccurate on the MPG sometimes. I only thought of this because I recently took a trip down to Savannah, GA from Atlanta, GA. It's 263 miles or so from Atlanta to Savannah and it's all highway. I basically filled up the day before we went, perhaps even the day of since I can't quite remember, and only had like 15 miles or so on the tank. Traveled at an average of about 75 MPH on the highway, pure estimate but I was going 80+ MPH for over half the trip. I had to fill up on the way back, which I figured I would have to. Anyways, the MFD said my MPG was around 50 MPG. I couldn't tell you exactly since I honestly don't remember, but it wasn't near what I calculated my actual mileage to be. I pumped in a generous 10.534 gallons for gas into my car, only had 1 pip left, for the 465 miles I had driven. Calculates out to 44.143 MPG.

I wanna know how the MFD can be off by so much when it's all highway mileage? I only had 1 stop on the way there and that was cause of traffic, which seemed to be caused by nothing, and 1 stop on the way back, and that was to fill up. My speed ranged from 75-85 MPH, cause of hills.

Anyways, someone have an explanation.

BTW, took the Pius to 101 MPH. Took a while to get that last 1 MPH too. Had to go down a slight hill to pick it up. Don't worry though, only did it to see how fast it could really go. Took me less than a minute to do the test too.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Plastic tank lining bladder. If it was cold at the time of first fill and hot at last fill the bladder being more flexible when hot will hold more petrol than when cold and stiff giving a false calculated milage. The MFD is normally pretty accurate.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alexstarfire @ Oct 4 2007, 11:16 AM) [snapback]521170[/snapback]</div>
    It's not different. It's the same old story: the tank bladder keeps you from doing any sort of accurate fuel calculation based on a small number of fill-ups. It can't be done.

Tom

4. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's interesting that, after reading so many articles on this, people still seem to miss the salient point. Pat and Tom covered it quite nicely: you can never know how much gas you burned by looking at how much gas it takes to fill up the tank. The gas tank has different effective capacities at different times, so it takes different amounts of gas to fill up the tank.

So, when you fill up the tank, drive for a while, and then put in 10 gallons, you can not assume that you burned 10 gallons during your driving. You may have burned less than that or you may have burned more than that; you don't know!

This issue has nothing to do driving style or speed or to the makeup of your gas (i.e. "winter" vs. "summer" gas). The only important issue is the variability of the effective gas tank size (which is a combination of the flexible bladder, the sensitivity of the pump shutoff mechanism, and how aggressively you "top off").

5. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Without effort, it's impossible to accurately fill the tank. With effort, you tick-off the folks who gripe about every drop of fuel that fails to stay in the tank.

If your calculations are off by 10% or more, like you added 11 gallons when only 10 should have fit, then start worrying...

6. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

Well, would it help you guys to know that the temperature was the same, though not exactly and this is over about 24 hours. I know that there is always some error, but this has been the biggest by far, except for when I was using a malfunctioning pump.

Ohh well, I was really looking for than just the bladder crap again. I know that even if we knew the exact amount of gas we had that it'd still be off. I know that the MFD calculations can't be 100% accurate.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You topped off and overfilled... Your next tank will calculate a higher mpg than the MFD shows and it'll balance out.
    Sorry it's the same crap, but when the question is the same the answer's the same whether it makes you happy or not.

8. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

I guess. You were right about the last part too. I filled up just the other day and ended up getting better mileage than I should have. It's also the only time, other than that broken pump, when I've started it again after it stopped. I knew it couldn't have been full at 7.5 gallons on 484 miles. MFD said I didn't even get 60 MPG. Stopped again at 8.008 gallons and I left it at that. It was still slightly more than my MFD said, but it was well within range.

I find it odd that I could have overfilled that tank though. As I've already implied, I put if on autofill and when it stops, that's it. Guess I can't complain too much anymore since I got some mileage back.

Ohh, and mikepual, it was more than 10% off, that's why I was worried, and curious.

Ok, let this topic, and thread, be dead now.

9. PearlDriver

PearlDriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've been keeping track since tank 1 and have found the MFD to be more accurate than I would expect. I calculate the number of gallons that were used based on the MFD and subtract that from my actual pumped gallons. My max difference was a gallon in either direction. My spreadsheet is at work but my memory is that in 6000 miles my difference between gallons pumped and gallons used is about 2.5 gallons. My average MPG is 52 so I've used about 115 gallons. That's about 2.2%.

Temperature variations and pump accuracies can count for most of this total difference. Next I'd have to start considering all sorts of things I learned in college like partial pressures and how much gas I'm loosing through evaporation each time I remove the gas cap to fill up and all the vapor lost while filling. (How much gasoline is in the 9 gallons of vapor forced out per fill-up?)

I don't care what kind of car you drive and how it's designed expecting accuracies better than this is unrealistic.

Anyone know the accuracy that Toyota claims to achieve in it's MFD? I'm truly curreous.

10. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've been keeping track of my 'calculated' MPG and my MFD-displayed MPG by tank for the 10,000 miles I've owned my Prius. I have cumulative weighted-average calculations for both sets of MPG numbers, and they've stayed pretty consistent with the calculated weighted-average MPG being about 1 MPG less than the weighted-average MFD-displayed MPG. So that's roughly a 2% difference.

(I also have these comparisons based on each of the last 5 tanks, also consistent with my 'cumulative' numbers.)

Most of the time, on individual tanks, my calculated MPG is 1 - 2 miles less than the displayed MPG, but, due to the 'bladder effect' and the fact that here in New Jersey we don't pump our own gas, I've had individual tank measurements as much as 7 MPG less than the displayed and as much as 4 MPG more than the displayed.