1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Difference in sirius radios?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by lalawhite, Sep 21, 2008.

1. lalawhite

lalawhite New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    my '05 prius was totaled a month ago so we've been half-heartedly searching for a replacement prius the last week or so. Dealer 1 (where I got my original Prius plus 2 other Toyotas) was offering what we wanted for MSRP but you had to add 3 dealer options. The only dealer option we were really interested was sirius and that was $900.

Being forced to buy 3 dealer options (he later dropped it 2) really bothered me so I called another dealer. They had a couple in stock so an hour later we walked away with exactly what we wanted for MSRP and no mandatory dealer options. The sirius was $199.

Are there different sirius radios out there? I find it so hard to believe that there could possibly be such a price difference on the exact same thing. could there be a difference or is this just a case of extreme markup? Thanks!

2. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    yeah there is two sirus radios that can be connected to the prius

#1 is toyota's part, which costs $500 and i think it only good for like 10 characters?? or something???
    #2 is the "distributed" sirius toy-sc1 (toyota interface kit) (99.00) and scc1 ( universal tuner $49), lots of good feedback about this one. scrolls too

the steering wheel controls both work but each one does something different

3. pdhenry

pdhenry It's HEEERE!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There's also option #2a which is the toy-sc1 plus a scvdoc1 that accepts a dock-and-play sirius radio. Probably not what a dealer would offer as an aftermarket part but useful if you want to pop out the radio and put it into a home dock or boombox. Costs about $50 more to put a dockable radio into the car.

4. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    if you look around and perhaps call sirius up as a prospective customer, you might be able to score the dockable radio (but none of the other parts previously mentioned) for free.. i did this once and i got a sirius radio for 1 cent. i haven't even used it yet. its still sitting collecting dust with no active subscription to it

5. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Also, if you have the TOY-SC1 with the SCC1 you can swap out the SCC1 for an SCVDOC1 later if you want to have a portable unit.

6. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There is the factory Sirius tuner and an aftermarket one.
    The price for the factory tuner varys widely, especially if bought from the dealer. Some folks have paid an insane $900.
    The aftermarket unit is about $149, and in many ways is better.

Don't let the dealer rip you off.