1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Differences between 1st and 2nd gen?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by nomadic1, Feb 10, 2007.

1. nomadic1

nomadic1 New Member

What are the differences between the 1st and 2nd generation Prii, please? I have my eye on a 2001 model to tide me over until the PHEV edition comes out but if it's drastically nerfed compared to the 2nd gen I'll have to rethink that.

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    2 gen is significantly more advanced than 1 gen. Bigger HV battery, better capacity, a complete re-design. Don't hold your breath for PHEV; maybe 2009 model year, maybe not. But don't drive a stinker until perfection arrives... Either a 1 or 2 is better than a conventional 0.

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I much prefer the Classic to the G2 3 foot shorter turning circle a real trunk that you can lock and not have opened with a pocket knife about the same gas mileage for the average driver and not with out a few bugs in the 2k1 model. The computer alogorythms for the hybrid controls are a bit coarse at times and there are a problem with some of the steering gear (electric control) and throttle control on the pedal. We had a 2k1 that she traded for the 2k4 and I really don't like a lot of the 2k4 features so bought a new 2k3 in early 2004 and saved myself $5750 off the MSRP. If all the service bulletins are up to date and the car checks out and it's at a reasonable price that you can afford, the Classic is a good choice.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  5. nomadic1

nomadic1 New Member

Thank you all for the feedback, but especially john1701a for that awesome comparison chart. It tells me exactly what I wanted to know and will allow me to make an informed decision.

I also want to apologize for this thread being in the "Fuel Economy" forum. I thought I put it in the Main forum...