1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

differences in how posts are moved

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by cwerdna, Feb 17, 2011.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When posts are flagged as being in the wrong area and moved, in some cases, there's a stub in the original area prefixed by "Moved:". In other cases, it simply vanishes from the original area and is moved to the proper place. Is this due to a difference on how they're moved or who does the moving? Just curious.

I'd think that the first method is a little better since the OP can a little more easily find their misplaced post. There've been a few cases where posters were confused as to where their post went, after a move.

Does the "moved: " stub automatically disappear after some point in time, to reduce clutter?

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    We can either move it or move it and leave a redirect which expires after a duration we choose (or the redirect never expires). I never leave a redirect.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for answering!

I'll vote yes on putting in an expiring redirect as SOP...

4. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I typically leave a redirect, but it's sometimes personal preference of the mod. I would also vote for our team of mods to leave an expiring redirect when moving a thread.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Mine typically expire in one week.
    The only time I don't leave a redirect is when I'm moving to a forum not readily accessible to everyone (for example, Politics) or when I forget (since it's not default).

6. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I don't leave them because I move quite a bit of threads in the Gen III forums on a daily basis and don't want redirects around all over, expiring or not. Plus, it can motivate people, in the future, to post in the proper forum. ;)

That being said, it's not a big deal to me. I'll leave em' if people want them as long as I remember to leave one in the future.