1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

differences to Gen3? Got offered a sweet deal

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TheNewGuy8, May 4, 2011.

1. TheNewGuy8

TheNewGuy8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I was just offered a 2006 mint condition top level prius (xenon, nav, backup cam, leather, upgraded sound, etc) with 55k miles and 2 years left on an extended 7 year 100k warranty for $12k. its a family thing, which is why its so low.

I had been planning on getting a gen3. Besides aesthetics and things like dash layout what are the main differences? In terms of, say, driving. I know it has less power - is it a hugely noticeable change? I'm going to go test drive one soon but I wanted to get an idea for what others thought of the trade-offs.

Thanks!

2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'll ignore the fact that you started a new thread on the same thing cause you're TheNewGuy, hehe. ;)

I'm 24, a young gun like you. When I bought my Gen II (late 2009) I was debating between it and a new 2010. I test drove both and couldn't tell the difference in ride quality. It's hard to tell if you'll be the same way. The thing I like about the Gen II is the MFD screen, better rear view visibility and the iconic design that screamed to be modified (my modified gen ii touring edition? So l337 I wouldn't trade it for the world). Enough about me though.

I think you should get the car you want, that you picture yourself in. When you see it, you'll know. ;)

3. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sounds like a good deal, especially if you know the cars history.

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Take the 06; it's a no brainer. To outfit an '11 to a comparable level would nearly triple the price. The top o' line G3 would have more bells and whistles tho' but still you could an extra car with the additional $20k.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  6. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It is bad forum etiquette to start multiple threads about the same issue.

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, I'll play along since I owned a 2009 for 15k miles and rented the 3rd gen too many times ....

In the 2nd gen, you will notice the gas engine a little more - it's a slight bit noisier. 3rd gen's is definitely a little quieter and smoother.

I never liked the farty 'coolant thermos pump'? sound in the 2nd gen. 3rd gen makes some sounds, but they are much quieter.

when you're on a bumpy residential street, the 2nd gen will exhibit a lot more flex in the chassis. This is why many resorted to a chassis stiffener to help out. The 3rd gen has a notably more solid, composed feel going down the road (I never tried a 2nd gen touring which Mac has).

3rd gen has a dumb but fixable door armrest which is a good 3/4" lower than the center console. Your elbow will likely not reach it well. Sucks to add padding on an expensive car.

2nd gen's JBL audio is absolutely not as robust and strong as the 3rd gen's JBL.

2nd gen's nav screen is much sharper than 3rd gens, BUT all the climate, nav, audio and driving/economy info is wrapped up into that one screen on the 2nd gen, not so smart.

IMO, 2nd gen's wheel/tire look is better and more fitting to the car. 3rd gen's seem a step backwards, except for the top end V model.

Ah, here's one - I never liked the electronic shifter placement in 2nd gen - I bumped it out of drive a couple time (it's quite close to steeing wheel. Sucks on freeway when you're suddenly in 'B' gear). 3rd gen shifter much better placed.

I never liked how the 2nd gen brake pedal was about an inch too far to the left. 3rd gen brake pedal moved closer to gas pedal - feels more 'normal'.

8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In this case, I think it's fine. He's getting opinions from 3rd gen owners in that forum, and 2nd gen owners here.

He needs opinions from both and can't assume owners cross over into other forums.

9. TheNewGuy8

TheNewGuy8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for understanding - yes, that's exactly why I did it.

Sorry if its bad manners, I just wanted a plethora of perspectives.

Thanks

10. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Personally I prefer the Gen II over the Gen III.

11. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    If you are into adding custom instrumentation such as my PriiDash(TM) project, then gen 2 has a lot more internal communication messages that have been deciphered than gen 3 I believe.

12. TheNewGuy8

TheNewGuy8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So - for those that weren't following this thread on the Gen3 main board: my sister's husband was also interested in the car so it came down to a coin toss as to who would get it.

I Won! :) The more I sat with the decision the more convinced I was that I would want to buy my dad's car. Plus with stock so low and prices so high I wasn't sure I could justify buying a prius right now, let alone at a trim level that I'd want.

I'm extremeley happy! Now I get to research research research about all the fun things to know and mod potentials and accessories :)

I'm a very happy camper. $12k for a 2006 with leather, nav, backup cam, HIDs, fogs, upgraded sound, multi-disc changer, 2 years left on a 7 year warranty, etc. Not in my ideal color, but I'll deal.

I'll be getting it when I'm in NH for the summer starting June 1st.

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone.

13. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

If you don't mind, could you enlarge on that? And even though we're in a 3rd gen, I'm not chauvanistic about them: I'm genuinely interested in what the differences are.

For example, from a few pics I've seen the gen 2 display looks brighter and more colorful. Also, there isn't that big divider between the 2 front seats.

15. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I haven't even driven a Gen3, but the thing I think I'd most prefer about the new model is the ability to be in true EV mode (without the ICE spinning) at over 35 MPH 41 MPH.

That to me that just seems like a really unfortunate choice of "max" EV speed for the poor old Gen2. Set at a point right on the minimum of the speeds I normally travel so as to ensure I'm hardly ever getting the full benefit of the EV potential.

That and the whole "stage 4" transition thing, the fixing of those two "bugs" would have to be the things that I think I'd most appreciate about the Gen3 if I had one.

BTW. I should add that even with those "bugs" the gen2 is still a great car. And I think the OP got an unbeatable deal. :)

16. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think you overestimate the power of EV mode. :) Remember, Gen III owners still encounter the problem that short trips = low mileage. Some owners never even use EV. If it was so great, wouldn't they? Also, the Gen IIIs better EPA rating of 4 mpg over the Gen II is not really a function of the EV button, but rather a more refined HSD as a whole. So don't be so disheartened by the lack of a true EV mode.

17. MelissaAnne

MelissaAnne New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All I do is go to all unread posts. I don't care which forum it's in. I'll go where ever I want even if I only have a gen 2. :)

18. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think you misunderstood me there. I'm not talking about the EV button. I'm talking about the fact that the Gen2 has to spin the ICE at all times when you're going over 35 MPH 41 MPH. This includes EV mode and gliding etc. I'm talking about any time that it doesn't need to use fuel but it still has to spin the engine anyway (if you're over 35 MPH 41 MPG) and this reduces efficiency. In the Gen3 they increased this limit to about 50 MPH or something.

19. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Negative. On Gen 2 the engine has to spin over 41mph, on Gen 3 you get 45 or 46mph. It's a useful increase but nowhere near as big a difference as you suggest.

On a G2 there are great results to be had at higher speeds with a combination of "super highway" cruising with the ICE burning and "warp stealth" gliding with the ICE spinning but not burning.

20. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Oh yeah 41MPH I knew that (in km/h), I just made an error converting from km/hr to MPH (late at night here). The problem with this speed is it's so close to our "built up area" speed limit that I'm hardly ever traveling less than that speed.

Even though the increase is only from 66 km/hr to 74 km/hr it would mean a huge difference for me in terms of how often I was traveling at a speed able to take advantage of it. I spend a fair bit of time traveling between 65 and 70 km/hr here in our 60 km/hr speed limits zone.