1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Different color combos for different states

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cugms, Jun 23, 2009.

1. cugms

cugms New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I ordered a 2010 Prius III in Blizzard Pearl + Misty Grey interior at an Ohio dealer. They called me back later to tell me Blizzard Pearl is not available with Misty Grey in this region, even though that combo is shown in the brochure and Toyota's website.

I know Canada has different combos than the U.S., but state-by-state differences?

The dealer also then told me that wouldn't be possible to get a Prius with that combo from another region.

This surprised me, so I called Toyota, and the representative I spoke with confirmed some regions may not offer all interior/exterior combos, but that the dealer should be able to get a car from a different region.

Now to convince the dealer (who has my deposit) that they can do what Toyota says they can.

2. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It's complicated to get a car out of a different region.

It's easy for some guy on the phone to say "hey they can do it" but in reality, it's not as easy as they MAKE it sound.

You just have too damn many variables. The cars have to come to the same port if you're going to do a trade for a car before it hits the ground, and you have to find a dealer who's got the car WILLING to trade it. And, out of region, we seldom have trade relationships with out of region dealers (because we don't stay in touch and need each other like our usual trading partners) so they are not usually very helpful.

If you're doing a ground-trade, it's worse. With no relationship, you can send a truck which may take a few days and then the car you were trading for could be gone!! I mean, what do they care - they are selling their own car to their own buyer - and they aren't going to damage a strong relationship by doing so.

I hope that makes sense. I have a lot of experience and a lot of thoughts in this regard, but while it's possible that your Ohio dealer might have to go the extra mile for your car, it also sounds like they don't want to. I don't blame them. I will always try to find the right car for a buyer regardless of how much laughter or grief I get at the other end of the phone when I try an out of zone trade. I mean, heck, if you don't call/try, it's already a NO. But - I admit, I try less hard when I am already buried with deals and sales for the cars we already have. Your local dealer may be at that point. :) I get that way some days!!

Di

1 person likes this.
  3. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Some states have it a tad easier.
    In Southern CA, I am bordered by water to the left and Mexico to the south... leaving me AZ and NV!! Oregon's way too far north... so we're severely limited in being able to do out of area trades... and the dealerships in Northern CA use a different port...

Might be different in a pretty centrally located state like Colorado? Or, even Ohio?
    Di