1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Different EV mode speeds?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Dolce_Vita, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Dolce_Vita

Dolce_Vita Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I've noticed that the standard EV mode speed in the US is 34mph (54km/h), yet on my Australian spec Prius EV mode only works up to 28mph (46km/h). Is this because in the US an aftermarket EV switch is needed to engage EV?

2. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The fact that EV mode works in the US is an accident, it wasn't designed in. Owners noticed that if they connected the pins of the HV ECU that the factory EV switch connects, outside North America, that it indeed goes into EV mode. As a result, the speed limit is the Japanese 55km/h.

For the UK, the speed limit in EV mode on the 2G is an indicated 29-30mph. In Europe I believe it's 50km/h. The speedometer reads 10% high until you go above 55mph (indicated), when it reads 5mph high.

This all changes for the 3G car, which does have a factory EV switch in North America, where it's limited to 25mph. In the UK and Europe it's 31mph (50km/h).

EV mode should really be called 'engine inhibit'. You can cruise electrically, not being in EV mode, at up to 42mph (approx) on all Gen 2 cars, wherever they were sold. This goes up to 45mph on 3G cars - it's derived from the maximum speed that the generator is permitted to spin at, and the final drive gearing and wheel size has changed from 2G to 3G.

1 person likes this.
  3. Dolce_Vita

Dolce_Vita Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It probably wouldn't be worth trying to change the EV speeds on an Australian Prius, but it would be HEAPS handy, because for a 3km radius around my house is flat roads with a 30mph/50km/h speed limit, I can pretty much just pulse and glide on this terrain without lowering the battery SOC under 6 bars in EV mode, but only at up to 45km/h which annoys other drivers occasionally...

4. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Actually, if you push the EV mode button in the 3rd generation Prius when the engine is cold, you can only go up to 10mph before it will kick off and say "EV MODE DEACTIVATED DUE TO EXCESSIVE SPEED" then, when the engine is worm and the battery has a good state of charge and the EV button is pushed, the Prius will actually allow you to travel up to 25mph before kicking off and saying "EV MODE DEACTIVATED DUE TO EXCESSIVE SPEED". Even though the Prius EV mode kicks off, it doesn't stop the car from going over 25mph in EV only, for example, in my Gen.II, even though it does not have the EV button, If I feather the pedal just right I can get to 42mph and at speeds over 42mph, the engine will start to spin. I would be interested to know how the EV button acts in the Gen.II in other Country's.

Cazde likes this.