1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Different modes, IGN-ON, READY, ACC?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lagreca, Aug 9, 2007.

1. lagreca

lagreca Junior Member

It seems that the prius has 3 different modes, IGN-ON, READY, ACC. I understand ACC, but I'm confused by the first two. What is the difference and how do you access them? Thanks.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ACC- is very limited power--pretty much just the radio, MFD, Bluetooth.
    IG ON- gives you power to the fans, windows, and most other stuff.
    Ready- closes the circuits to the HV battery and fires up all the ECUs to make the car drivable.

3. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    IG ON is a rubbish name, as it doesn't really correspond to the car's actual implementation at all. But it roughly corresponds to the state of a normal car with the key in the "ignition on" or "II" position before the starter motor has run. All systems are on, but the engine isn't running yet.

In the Prius's case it's not quite like that, as not all systems are on - the HV system is still off-line. This also means the A/C compressor won't operate, but everything else should, including all other ventilation functions.

In IG ON, you can shift to "N" to move the car.

As an emergency measure while driving, you can hold down the POWER button to shut the car down, and it drops into ACC mode and "N". (This is the only way you can get to a combined ACC/"N" state - you can't normally shift in ACC).

2 people like this.
  4. lagreca

lagreca Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO @ Aug 9 2007, 06:00 AM) [snapback]492926[/snapback]</div>

I guess I should have also asked in my initial post, how do I get into these different modes, and when I'm there, how can I tell.

Again, I understand how to get into ACC, but I'm not sure how to get into IGN-ON and READY, and tell when I'm in them, and which one I'm in.

Thanks!

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lagreca @ Aug 9 2007, 06:25 PM) [snapback]493312[/snapback]</div>
    Without your foot on the brake pedal, when you press the Power button you go into ACC. Pressing it again gets you to IGN-ON. Pressing it again will turn the car off. The light on the Power button changes color; first Green and then Amber.

With your foot on the brake pedal, pressing the Power button will get you to READY. You'll see the READY light on the display.

Dulitha likes this.
  6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lagreca @ Aug 9 2007, 08:25 PM) [snapback]493312[/snapback]</div>
    ACC is one push of the Power button without your foot on the brake
    IG-On is 2 pushes of the Power button without your foot on the brake
    READY is the normal mode when you're driving the car...Any single press of the Power button while your foot is on the brake from either ACC, IG ON, or when the car is totally off.

Dulitha likes this.
  7. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    And one of the irritating features is that you can't go from READY to ACC without going via OFF.

But on the positive side, you can pull the key straight out to turn the car off if you're in ACC, avoiding a couple of button presses. (If you're putting the key in the slot, that is).

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO @ Aug 10 2007, 10:15 AM) [snapback]493559[/snapback]</div>
    From "ready", apply parking brake, put car in "D" and hold down the power button. The car should go to ACC and the transmission to "N". Shift the transmission to "P" and you're there.

I should try this before saying it will work. ;)

9. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Aug 10 2007, 11:29 AM) [snapback]493569[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds like a risky sequence of events though since you have to make sure the parking brake is engaged AND your foot on the brake too just to be safe (or does your foot have to be off the brake pedal?) I don't think I would recommend this maneuver to just anyone, and definitely not to my wife (who is so impatient that she presses P so quickly and lightly that the car doesn't always go into Park!!!)

Myself, I've learned to just leave the car in Ready while listening to the rest of a radio program (or a song or whatever) then shut the whole thing off when done. If I need to put the car in ACC then I do that from the OFF position. Much safer that way.

One nice trick I just picked up from the "Most Obscure Facts" thread is that in ACC mode you can go to OFF without having to go to IG-ON first -- if you have SKS. While in ACC, just insert the fob into the slot, push Power and OFF you go (thanks TidelandPrius!)

10. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    No, if you had your foot on the brake the car would just go to "P" and off. I will have to try this though, now my interest is piqued! ;) Maybe you actually have to be moving for it to work.

11. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    already covered