1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Different morning commute, prius acts different.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by slair, Jul 25, 2007.

1. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I used to drive around 7 miles to work, and now its around 1 mile. Before, I could totally control the prius the way I wanted to. It was very predictable and I knew how to make it do what I wanted. I used to be able to cruise at around 30 mph, and if the ICE was on, I could just let off the gas for a second or two, let the ICE shut off, feather the gas peddle light enough to keep it in warp stealth, but hard enough to keep constant speed. But now the prius is acting very weird. Weird enough for me to even consider taking it to the dealer and having it checked out. I know how long its supposed to warm up in the morning, that hasent changed. Its usually by the time I get to my first stop light, the ICE should have everything warmed up and shut off while I'm sitting at the light, but it dosent. It used to shut off after about 1-2 full minutes of running, so by the time I would reach the end of my apartment complex, it would shut off when I stopped at a stop sign. Now it takes me even longer to reach the first stop at my new place, and it still wont shut off. Another spot I used to be able to be in EV mode was from the guard shack at work, all the way into the parking lot until I found a parking space. About a 1/4 mile total. Now when I stop at the guard shack, the ICE does shut off like normally, I badge in, gate goes up, I slowly move forward, trying to keep in in EV, but as soon as I start moving the damn ICE comes on! Its not like I have a low battery and the ICE is trying to charge it, I have full blue, some times even 1 green, and this crap still happens. I keep crusing, letting off the gas, trying to get the ICE to turn off and it just wont shut off, and it will stay on all the way until I'm totally stopped in my parking space. I travel around 5 mph through the parking lot looking for spaces and the ICE is on the whole time. It used to be only electric the whole time....
    The one that really got me this morning was, I went to starbucks for some motivation-in-a-cup, I pull up to the order speaker, totally stopped, all blue on battery, ICE is just sitting there running. I order, pull up to the window, and when I stop at the window the ICE finally turns off! The car has been running for a good 5 minutes by now, I even have a bar on the consumption graph. I have no lights on, no A/C on, car is at minimal power consumption. I get my cup o' crack, and hardly even pressing the gas peddle to pull away (trying to keep it in EV) the ICE comes back on!!! With full blue on battery! Now I'm getting pissed. I pull around, and dead stop and the entrance/exit of starbucks, just waiting for the ICE to shut off, and it wont.... Its on all the way until my parking spot at work.
    One think I did notice was that its ICE only on the power screen. Not ICE and elect. motor. Just orange arrows for the ICE, no yellow from battery, to elect. motor, to wheels. I thought that was kind of odd also. Even at slow speeds, slow acceleration.
    My car just isnt acting normal at all! Its not the same... One think I think it might be is that it does need an oil change. Its not horribly overdue, The oil is around 3700 miles old.
    Another thing I notice one day was, when I parked, turned off, got out and locked. The little whine sound didnt start (water pump or whatever) like it usually does for a few seconds after I get out of the car. Its always done it, but there was a time that it didnt. Is this normal?

Sorry for the long read/post but there was plenty to say. Any advice or info is appreciated before I take my pri to the pri pound. :(

2. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Since you have started the shorter commute have you taken any long trips to see if the Prius behaves different there too?

Because your commute is now 1 mile the car just isn't warming-up, your not reaching stage 4. Since the car isn't warming up, your coolant thermos, if it does cycle, will only exchange lukewarm coolant, and eventually will quit cycling since there is no warm coolant to store. Your use of EV will further reduce your engine warm-up since it will stop the ICE cycling on. Your having a green bar on the SOC is beacuse the ICE is constantly running trying to warm-up and it has to dump the excess energy MG1 is producing somewhere.

Try a trip of some distance to see how the Prius behaves after it is fully warmed. I suspect everything will seem OK. If it is OK, then it's time to add an engine block heater and grill block to your list of mods.

Wayne

3. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I dont have the EV mod, when I was saying EV, i meant passive EV. sorry :p

4. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Slair @ Jul 25 2007, 09:09 AM) [snapback]484635[/snapback]</div>
    Even more so it points to a lack of coolant warm-up. Go for a long drive this weekend and then go over your commute route and see the difference.

Wayne

5. jiepsie

jiepsie New Member

A 1 mile commute? My daily walk to the train station is longer...

6. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm willing to be that you had your A/C on and set in the high 70's, because it was hot yesterday evening. Yet, since it was in the mid 60's this morning, the Prius was heating the car instead of cooling it. It uses heat from the engine to heat the car, therefore the engine stayed on longer while the engine heated up.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Slair @ Jul 25 2007, 10:09 AM) [snapback]484635[/snapback]</div>
    Slair, passive EV or forced EV by the button doesn't make a difference. Blocking your grill will probably provide 0 improvement in 1 mile as there isn't any heat from the ICE to retain. You will need the EBH to get the ICE warm before you start.

I always shut off the ac before turning off the car just so I'm not running the heat when the ac is set at 79F and it is in the 60's in the morning.

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Relax and enjoy your coffee. You're using about half as much fuel as you did during your previous commute. If it still bugs you, weather permitting walk or bike it. It's only a mile, fer gosh sakes.

9. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    For the 2nd time, no my A/C was not on.
    I know I'm not using that much gas, but it still hurts to see my MFD say that I'm getting 35 mpg because all I do is make short trips now :(