1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Different steering problem?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by takoma, Dec 17, 2006.

1. takoma

takoma New Member

Been reading some, though not all of the steering related posts.

We have an '02 Prius and I believe has had all the recall work done. Recently, I have noticed that turning to the left is difficult. At speed, it seems to want to "grab" and is hard to come out of a left turn.

When parking, it is as if there is no power assist, but again, only when turning the wheel to the left. Turning right is fine at all times.

Any suggestions? I'm guessing from some posts that this is an electric assist an there's no power steering fluid to check?

Thanks

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I do not know what is wrong with your car. But I think you need to find a good Prius Mechanic/Technician. There may be a TSB on this. Hopefully someone who lives in your part of the country can make a recommendation.

You are right about the steering, it is electrical so there is no fluid or pump. This could also be an alignment or a steering rack problem.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    might be a rack and pinion unit. should be quite easy to diagnose with the toyota scantool, checking out the readings from the torque resolver. the way the racks were in those, chances are it needs one.

4. takoma

takoma New Member

Galaxee, right on.

Through a long series of events (see below), the car ended up at the dealer and it was the rack. Turns out they had replaced the rack a couple years ago, so this is now the 3rd one in the vehicle. Thankfully, it was still covered by the 5 year extended warranty since this is an '02.

For those interested, the long series of events were:

A rear-ending in November that appeared to inflict nothing more than minor bumper damage. Drove the car for another month, then scheduled the repair with the insurance company. Figured the week after Christmas would be good down time.

The insurance company approved/recommended repair place had the vehicle and ended up not getting in all the parts, so it's now into the second week of no zen driving.

Get a call from the repair place, car is ready. Drop off the rental car and go to the repair place. Start the Prius and it dies with big warning icon on MFD. Prius refuses to start and run. Back to get the rental car again.

Almost another week goes by, find out they towed it to the dealer. Dealer says the fuel tank is dented and sensors messed up so car won't start. They replace fuel tank and sensors to the tune of around $1200. We ask them to look at the steering issue and they R&R the rack. Won't release the car to us until the other repair center pays the $1200 bill.

Finally, today, we have our electric green, eat my voltage, friend back at home.

Cheers.