1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Different way to approach the atkinson cycle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by cleverlever, Dec 9, 2004.

1. cleverlever

cleverlever New Member

Patent 4,364,353 was filed by Volkswagen in 1980.

Pretty forward thinking for the era but using detonation sensing to resrict maximum cylinder filling doesn't alter the combustion rate which is a result of atkinson conversly this may be the first significant patent ever issued using a detonation sensor to do something besides retard ignition timing.

Its a neat reference document for Atkinson advocates.

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

other's have used the detonation sensor to retard the timing but also to increase the amount of EGR opening to restrict the amount of air to fuel ratio. By partial filling of the cylinder with exhaust there is less air to mix with the injected fuel to lessen detonation, because of a lean mixture. Granted better results with an Atkinson Cycle engine for sure but has been done in the early to mid 80's

3. cleverlever

cleverlever New Member

Would dearly appreciate reference documentation regarding the use of detonation sensor to regulate EGR

4. Frank Hudon

turbo Buick Regal.

5. Frank Hudon

sorry but I can't find my service manual now, I might have thrown it out, but remember reading about it in the manual. They had difficulties controling detonation with the varying quality of fuel and tried every thing to keep it under control. Intercooled EFI turbo. I also had an earlier version in a Toyota 4X4 PU, carburetted and a night mare to control the clatter. Made the waste gate adjustable and set it to 4LBs boost.

6. cleverlever

cleverlever New Member

There is no doubt that egr will suppress detonation. I just find it hard to believe that the detonation sensor was in the control scenario of the EGR. I have studied the subject of detonation for 25 years,accumulated 12 patents in related technology etc etc and I have never seen a document linkking egr to a detonation sensor. this would be a real asset to my reference bank. Please tell me of any documents or articles on this subject.