1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Difficult to take 2001 out of Park

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by guru_del, Nov 4, 2009.

1. guru_del

guru_del New Member

Hi all,

I have an 01 prius with 178,000 miles on it (bought it in 04 with 50K), nothing has ever been changed except fluids, tires, brakes and the 12v battery (aka i love this thing). Anyways about 2 weeks ago i started having a hard time getting the car out of park. The button on the gear lever simply will not go down without me pressing it aroud 20-30 times and it finally lets me shift. I have a feeling it has more to do with the brakes than anything else as if i press too hard on the brakes when i start up the car the ABS light comes on, but if i am gentle with it the light doesnt come on and the car will eventually go into gear.

any thoughts? I am going to take it to the dealer in a few days once i can get a day off but would like to see if anyone else has an idea.

2. guru_del

guru_del New Member

problem solved, park switch (or stop switch) part # 84340-32050 $26.00 for the part. Too bad it is another 200 for the labor. Oh well.