1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Difficulty walking

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by marjflowers, Dec 5, 2006.

1. marjflowers

marjflowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Okay, so I'm halfway yhrough my walk,when BAM! The urge to go (#2) overcame me. As hard as I tried, I simply couldn't hold it. Yes,I had diarreha(sp?) all over myself. So here I am, in 23 degrees, with mypants full of poop. Not only gross, but COLD. I had about 15 minutes of this before I got home. And by the time I had cleaned myself up, there was sh!t everywhere!!!!

This sudden diarreah has hit me in the past, when I had eaten fatty food (after gall bladder surgery). But now that is NOT the case now. A couple of days ago I had to go really bad, but I was able to make it home.

So my question is this -- could this have anything to do with exercise? I seem to remember my former secretary having this problem when she started running. If this is the case, is there anything I can do?

Sorry to be so gross, but this is a problem I'm not sure I can live with.

Peace --

2. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Marj -

Some people do get exercise-induced diarrhea. It's descriptively called Runner's Trots. It's more associated with distance runners, but walkers do also get it. The range of symptoms runs from cramping and nausea to bouts of flatulence and diarrhea during or after a workout.

It's also possible that your body is just adjusting to its new reality. You're systematically purging your body of the bad stuff and it has to adjust to the good stuff.

You might want to consult with your doctor, though. Sometimes Runner's Trots can result from irritable bowel. Until you can get an appointment, I'd suggest keeping your walks closer to home or, if you can, modify your route so you're never far from a public restroom.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Kaopectate.

I've only once been unable to hold it: I was visiting Spain (before I eventually moved there to live for a while) and I had eaten a very oily paella the night before. Because I wanted to catch an early train, I went out jogging before being able to go to the bathroom. 12 minutes into my run I knew I was in trouble, and began looking for a bathroom, as I was in the park. But the bathrooms were locked at that time of the morning! I ended up ducking into a bush.

If you know or suspect that you may have this problem, one or two tablespoons of kaopectate a half an hour before going out should control it. Taken in the correct dosage, which you will learn with time, it does not cause constipation.

They do not sell kaopectate in Spain. Thus I was unprepared the day I went out for my run in Prado Park.

Note however, that Immodium does cause constipation and should only be taken in an emergency.

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If it occurs regularly, i'd probably consult a physician (like Proco suggests), but one incident isn't anything to worry about. You've drastically changed your diet and your level of activity very recently, it's expected that it may take a week or two for your body to get used to it. In the mean time, it might be a good idea to visit the bathroom prior to your runs just to clear out the system, regardless if you feel the need or not.

5. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    My dad has this problem as a result of his radation treatments for rectal cancer. He had chemo and radiation almost 20 years ago with no reccurance of the cancer and is considered cured <yay!>. However, the radiation treatments caused damage to the lower intestine and rectal area, he also has diverticulitus (sp?) so he really has to watch what he eats otherwise even a short trip to the market is cut short by an uncontrollable mess. The doctors have told him there is no way to treat this other than taking a bunch of Immodium before he is going on a trip, day-trip, etc. As a result he always has Immodium and a change of clothes with him at all times.

I realize that is not the cause of your problem, but I hope by sharing this maybe someone else with the same problem may be able to share any alternative treatments or strategies for this problem.

Be sure to check with your doctor!

6. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seeh2o @ Dec 5 2006, 10:59 AM) [snapback]357933[/snapback]</div>
    This is off the record and should not be meant in anyway as professional advice or the establishment of a professional relationship here.

You need to at least give us information pertaining to the diagnosis from his physician(s) - this would be as a result of a sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy. It sounds as though he has radiation proctitis for which there are several possible therapies. Let me know what the working diagnosis is or if there are none the current level of evaluation he has undergone and when these tests were performed.

I am a BC GI guy in NYC - I would, off the record, love to try to help out here.

David Berman, MD, FACP, FACG

7. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    :lol: :lol: :lol: (cleaning the coke off of the monitor) Oh thats sooo funny, sorry but I think we've all been there once or twice. At least you didn't have to ride the train. oh man what a horrible feeling that pain in the intestines then BAM the uncontrolable power projectile poop... :huh: I would lean towards IBS.

I knew a guy that, had that happen during the lunch rush hour in a pizza hut. he told us he had to go to the restroom and he stood up and BAM it happened. I swear everyone was choking on their food and laughing as he made his way to the bathroom. I felt sorry for him, but I made myself sick from laughing so hard.. I covered his side of the bill so he could go home and shower/change..

Hmm I wonder why people think fart and pants pooping is funny?.. :huh:

Sorry to hear of the misfortune. :(

8. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As muh as I am generally the type of guy that just deals with crap on my own and do not like calling my doctor... In the case of projective runs, I would put my doc on speed dial to come up with a solution...

It is one thing to deal with a crappy situation in the relative uncomfortable privacy of your car and a whole different level while standing in line for the public bathroom at the mall during holiday shopping season only to find a stall that won't flush and depleted of paper products...

Call your doc.

9. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjflowers @ Dec 5 2006, 04:21 AM) [snapback]357865[/snapback]</div>
    OH CRAP! Thank God you weren't with a group of people. It may be that your change is too drastic and to sudden. Slow down and don't try to do everything at once. The suddeness part makes me think of IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) cut out caffeine , as much junk food as possible, and cut down especially on oily foods. Hate to say this and I'm sure Godiva is shuddering but chocolate also is a no-no.

Have a Merry Christmas

Wildkow

10. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you did not eat all that much before exercise, seeing the doctor would be a good idea.

This is not that uncommon for marathons, due to many runners carb loading 2-3 days prior to the run. There are actually runners die of drinking too much fluids! What makes the marathon so challenging is the average person has glucose for 20 miles, but the run is 26.2 miles.

11. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  12. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjflowers @ Dec 5 2006, 07:21 AM) [snapback]357865[/snapback]</div>
    It's all part of the rich tapestry of life, as someone once said. Do a google for IBS. It's a relatively common condition, especially among older people, but you don't say how old you are.
    And always carry a bag of spare clothing, etc in your car!

13. marjflowers

marjflowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Dec 5 2006, 03:46 PM) [snapback]358134[/snapback]</div>
    I happen to be one of those rare specimens who don't like chocolate!