1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Digestive enzymes

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by SSimon, Jun 27, 2008.

1. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Anyone here use digestive enzymes? If so, which enzymes and have you noticed any improvements to your health? I was reading that they can assist for better quality of life for a multitude of ailments, i.e. gerd, anxiety, autoimmune disorders of the digestive system and in general, better vitality. Any experiences?

2. McDonald

McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I use digestive enzymes, even though I eat mostly a raw foods vegan (only uncooked fruits and vegetables) diet. Even when I was a cooked food vegan, the enzymes definitely helped me out. I noticed a huge difference from when I didn't take them to when I did, and I have Lupus so I can use any help I can get.

And, my dog takes digestive enzymes because he eats a raw diet (raw meat and round bone and organ), and it does wonders for him too. Woof!

3. McDonald

McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Oh also, I have used this site Enzymes / Digestive Enzymes / Enzyme Supplements to buy some of mine, if I don't find them at Whole Foods or another natural market (I usually do find them there.) Some of them are for if you are a big dairy eater, while the ones I usually go for are just general digestive enzymes.

And you should give them a try, they can't do any harm!

4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I haven't really used digestive enzymes much, but I'm trying to start the habit. It's one thing to take supplements at a particular time, but every time I eat something is a real task. My doctor recommended Tyler Similase.

Digestive enzymes can reduce bloating and allergic reactions. You can actually get thiner just by avoiding the inflamation that poor digestion causes.

I do have experience with systemic enzymes. These are enzymes intended to get past the digestive track and into the bloodstream. Once in the bloodstream they clean up all sorts of damage.

I had a painful ankle (old injury) for several years that just wouldn't heal, and several bottles of Vitalzym (as in $300 worth...) was what finally cleared it up. A friend of mine had a 60 year old scar disappear.

When I had a root canal done, my dentist sent me home with Vitalzym systemic enzymes. That was the easiest time I've ever had with a root canal. Several previous times (with other dentists) I used prescription Tylenol with narcotics, and those were really rough. The Tylenol/narcotic didn't do squat for the inflamation, and I had to go back for a stronger pain killer.

A local football team uses about $20 worth of the stuff (per athlete) per workout. It allows them to go out and beat themselves up, and then the enzymes clear up much of the damage.

There is some data on the internet about enzymes, but precious little. There are some medical study reports at the Wobenzym company site (in Europe, the FDA would never allow such data in the US). I wish the FDA would get out of the way and let supplement manufacturers say what they know about their products. There clearly is a lot of science that goes into designing an enzyme blend, but that knowledge would be classified as an unapproved drug claim if a manufacturer or vendor actually talked about it.