1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dim dash lights revisited

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dpower, Jun 15, 2018.

1. dpower

dpower Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I’ve read hundreds of posts on dealing with dash light problems and have tried dozens of suggestions.
    My dash board and mfd lights are so dime that they are very hard to see in the daytime.
    I recently replaced the speedo modular that had finally died long after the extended warranty expired.
    I know when it was new back in 05 that I could see the dash lights fine and I installed the sunshade mod over the mfd.
    is there anyway to brighten the dash?
    It responds properly to the dimmer, it’s not locked in the detent at the top. The dimmer switch is pluged in. It’s doesn’t matter if it’s set to day mode or not on the mfd settings. The fuses have been checked. I can’t think of anything I haven’t tried and have search through the threads.

So any suggestions on how to get the lights brighter? I’d like to be able to tell how much gas I have in the car and be able to glance at the speedo again.

David

2. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Sounds like it's stuck in headlight night mode or something.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My first thought would be that maybe I missed a plug, or didn't completely push a plug all the way in, or stressed some wires when I unplugged them--If it were me, I'd go back into the dash and look at/wiggle all of the wires.
    My second thought is: where did the replacement combo meter come from? 04/05 are different than 06-09 units.

4. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    1. Check for dimmer operation (you have)
    2. Headlight switch (the parts of the switch that send signal to combo meter could be bad, yet the headlights still work)
    3. Check for trouble codes with TechStream (communications between Combo Meter & ECU OK?)
    4. Check the following fuses (numbers are from my 2004, yours may be different, *=primary suspects)
      1. Fuse 8* - Gauge (inst panel fusebox)
      2. Fuse 14 - AM1 (inst panel fusebox)
      3. Fuse 20 - ACC (inst panel fusebox)
      4. Fuse 31 - AM2 (engine fusebox)
      5. Fuse 39* - Dome (engine fusebox)
    5. *Instrument panel ground points IH & II (Look for loose wires or corrosion)
    6. All instrument panel connector (loose or broken/frayed wires)
    7. Bad Combo Meter (it controls the dimming) or its connectors
    8. Bad Body ECU (works with the Combo Meter for light dimming) or its connectors
    9. Bad door switches
    10. Ambient light sensor
    Prius_GND_Points.JPG

#4 ITBland, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if the dimmer switch works, does that mean it has to be providing full brightness?

6. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The dimmer is pass/fail, if it dims and goes to full brightness when you roll the wheel all the way up, then it is not the problem (according to the troubleshooting document attached). The wires between the dimmer and the combo meter need to be checked for high resistance, as do the grounds--but that means taking the dash apart. If the dimmer works and there is no high resistance on any of the wires, then the combo meter needs to be replaced. Since the dimming is actually done by the computer inside the combo meter, pulling the 12v ground cable might reset it. Heck, simply unplugging and then re-plugging (is that a word?) the dimmer and the combo meter might solve the problem, if the connectors are getting a little oxidized (dirty/oxidized connectors = higher resistance).
    The OP says:
    and that introduces the possibility that the ribbon cables on the combo meter (assuming speedo module = combo meter) are not seated properly.

Attached Files:

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    o/p also states; 'it responds properly to the dimmer, it's not locked in the detent at the top'. should it be locked?

8. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If it's locked at the top, that should give full brightness at all times. A used dimmer switch is $15 on eBay/Amazon, cheaper (I would think) at a pick-n-pull. I would probably just throw the $15 at it. However, according to the Toyota diagnostic, if the lights respond to the dimmer, then it is not the problem. Step 2 in the troubleshooting, is to unplug the dimmer and the combo meter and check that the wires do not have high resistance and that the ground wire in the connectors are good, if all that checks out, then the cure is to replace the combo meter. The OP said:
    either the replacement combo meter is bad, the plugs are not tight, or some wires were disturbed (stretched/broken) during the replacement.
    I would also investigate if the replacement combo meter was opened--there are several ribbon cables inside that can be difficult to attach properly.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Bisco, if the wheel is locked at the top, but the wires are bad, or have high resistance, then the combo meter can be fooled into thinking it is set to 1/2 (or something less than full on). If the combo meter is not getting a good ground, then the LEDs may not be getting the proper voltage (likely there would be other ill effects of a bad ground, the only complaint seems to be dim "lights"). If the dimmer does not get a good ground (or the correct voltage from the car) due to bad wires, then its signal would be wrong on the dim side.

#9 ITBland, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so o/p should try locking it first?

11. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The way I read this (maybe I'm wrong), the lights dim when the wheel is rolled and it will go to full brightness, but at full brightness it is very dim and not usable during the day.
    So instead of going from 0-100%, it is going something like 0-30%. @dpower is that correct?

dpower likes this.
  12. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I’d pop that wheel out and measure the voltage you’re sending to the dash display. In theory all the way up, the voltage is passing through. IMG_7119.JPG that will tell you if you are sending to a defective display or sending less than full voltage to a good display.

iPhone ?

audiodave, ITBland and bisco like this.
  13. dpower

dpower Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That’s correct

14. dpower

dpower Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I hate the idea of pulling the dash apart again to check the wires.
    This has been going on for several years now and I was really hoping replacing the combo gage would fix it.
    I’m disabled so I have to pay a mechanic several hundred dollars to pull the dash apart. Last time I tried it I craved the top of the ac panel to the right of the steering wheel and glued it back together. Every time the dash gets taken apart a new rattle seems to show up.

15. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey I just had an idea are you living in one of those states were they always have the lights on during the day? I noticed that my display dims to about half brightness whenever I have the headlights on, I wonder if it’s related?

iPhone ?

16. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Prius_dimmer1.jpeg
    OK, here is the inside of the dimmer. It appears to be an FET transistor connected to (probably) an A2D (Analog to Digital) chip, connected to a rheostat--your basic home dimmer, just for 12v. Mine (from a 2004) had quite a bit of oxidation on the contacts (in the rheostat and at the connector), but with this circuit, more resistance = brighter light (it's designed that way so if it fails completely, everything goes to full bright.) BUT, that is not the only failure mode that is possible (just the most likely). I would suggest trying a replacement for the dimmer. It is still possible that there is a wiring issue, or that the new combo meter is bad, but if all of the lights are dim, not just the combo meter, then this is likely the culprit. I was able to push the dimmer out of the dash by just removing the air vent and reaching into the dash (the dimmer is visible with the vent trim removed).
    The correct part number for 2004 thru early 2006 Prius is 84119-47020 (11/2005 thru all 2009s is 84119-52030 and the visible difference is that the graphic next to the wheel has six lines, not 10 lines). They appear to be ~$140 new, but ~$20 used on eBay.
    EDIT (I see you bought it new): Hey, does yours have the six lines or 10 lines? If you bought your Prius used, maybe the PO had theirs go bad and they put the wrong one in???

#16 ITBland, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  17. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is there anyone in Austin who could give @dpower a hand with this simple swap out?

audiodave likes this.
  18. dpower

dpower Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No I don’t drive with the headlights on in the day.

19. jktravl

jktravl New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How can I remove the dimmer switch?

20. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    See comments here, as long as you are careful not to break the old plastic vent piece, it’s easy. If it breaks you can buy an aftermarket one for not much money
    Dash Dimmer Switch Not Working | PriusChat