1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Diminished value question re: HUMU

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bob Allen, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hi: I wanted to start this as a new post rather than tack it on to the end of a post that is running out of steam. This is a followup question regarding the hit and run damage to HUMU which is recounted in another post.

The body shop will likely do a great job of fixing the car, but there will still be the question of diminished value.

My insurance company's policy is that I have the right to file for compensation for the difference between pre-accident and post-accident value.

How do I determine that difference? I seem to remember some sort of formula that my mother-in-law used when dealing with this same question with her insurance company.

Thoughts? Ideas?
    B0b

Bob

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wouldn't the insurance company be able to tell you? Such as salvage cost, repair cost etc. I'd like to know too if anyone has any ideas cause our Camry got hit by a drunk driver (who got away with the DUI AND Hit & Run part but still got charged for claims).

3. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob Allen\";p=\"102461)</div>
    And I thought you did it because the other thread was hijacked by the liberal bashing of our resident neocon.

4. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No formula that I can recall, but I think that I remember, according to KelleyBlue Book (not that that info is worth terribly much), HUMU can never again be classified as being in Excellent Condition; that is, never having been in an accident or had major body work performed.

Could that be a place to start?

Unfortunately, the best way to determine the value of something is to sell it to someone else...that wouldn't work here, would it?

5. pirateprius

pirateprius New Member

Eastern North Carolina, Home of the ECU Pirates
    Don't know if it's possible, but maybe you can go to Kelly Blue Book and find the value for your car in excellent condition and compare to the value for having been in an accident and repaired.