1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dimpled Sides?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Brian, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was checking the tire pressure in the wheels for I am a very new prius owner and I noticed that there were dimples along the bottom of each side of the car. I was first worried that it was some kind of cover up for something, then I thought that it "has" to be some kind of fuel economy enhancer, or something. I have two pics below, the top one is where it is, and the bottom is a close up of it. They were taken on my T616 so they might not be the best. I just want to know if anyone else has noticed it.
    Thanks,
    Brian

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's for aerodynamics....have you seen the Lexus commercial where they lift the car up and have a stream of smoke riding over it. They then turn the vehicle upside down so the smoke runs smoothly along the bottom of the vehicle too..?

Anyway, Yes, the dimples are intentional and are for aerodynamics. AFAIK, you can pay $20K for a Prius and get this feature or $50K for a Lexus for that same feature....you choose..;-)

3. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey, thanks efusco. I had seen that commercial and I thought of it when I saw the dimples. Great Commercial, BTW. Well thanks for that little insight on what that was.

Brian

4. longshortofit

longshortofit Junior Member

I cannot dispute that aerodynamics, but I know it has been used on many vehicles I have owned for prevented rock chipping of the paint. Sometimes right behind the wheels and othet times along the whole bottom about 6 or 8 inches up.

5. Liam

Liam New Member

The dimples are on my Dodge truck also. I don't think Dodge was concerned about aerodynamics. The brochure said it was chip resistant paint.

6. RobertO

RobertO New Member

Don't laugh too hard at me, but they look like jack points. As in where you are supposed to place the jack to change a tire.

Seen the same thing on other passenger cars.

So, how wrong am I? I can take it...

Bob

7. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ya, but it is all the way from the front wheel to the back wheel on both sides!

8. plusaf

plusaf plusaf

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :D
    that shows a lot of flexibility in design, for where you can jack the car, right?

9. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    NO, if you go and look at John's new site on how to change the oil you will see where to jack up the car. PLEASE don't just do it anywhere, you will probably break something and will take weeks, as we know it, to get the part in. Here is the link, he shows where to put the jack. Quite nice. http://john1701a.com/index.html, you are going to have to go and open it.
    Brian

10. plusaf

plusaf plusaf

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    brian, i was joking.... sorry if a lot of you went out and jacked up your car and damaged it........

but surfing john's site, i turned up an interesting tidbit....
    so, why doesn't the car recharge the fob?

hellllloooooo, toyota "engineers".......???????????

(not joking that time)
    :)