1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

disable nav safety?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by stinken1, May 7, 2005.

1. stinken1

stinken1 New Member

is there a way i can disable the safety on the nav? so i can type while i drive?

2. Hoagie

Hoagie New Member

I saw a method of doing this a long time ago (I've been away from PriusChat for a while), so I couldn't point you in the right direction, but I know something, somewhere, exists.

It is a small board that you have to splice into a wire (or two) somewhere that, in effect, tricks the nav computer into thinking you are going under 5 miles an hour. If I remember correctly, it tricks other systems into thinking the same thing and produces some weird results.

Now, should you be tinkering with the nav screen while you are driving? If I'm the car next to you, I'd just prefer you pulled over at the next rest stop to fix your destination info. :wink:

3. tag

tag Senior Member

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Dave at Coastal Tech has a mod for the nav, but hasn't delivered yet. He is developing something for the bluetooth/info side of things.

www.coastaletech.com

5. hdpigott

hdpigott New Member

Coastal Electronics purportedly sells a simple-to-install kit to accomplish what you want. I've had one on order for a couple of months, though. I think they are backlogged at the moment.

http://www.coastaletech.com/04prius.htm

6. plusaf

plusaf plusaf

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    my http://www.plusaf.com/prius/prius.htm shows where i put my override switch. the directions are great, and it's really easy to do, except for breaking the one wire and putting the switch in series.... it's a bear to get to the wire!

but it's less than an hour (half of which i spent struggling with the doggone wire... :guns: )

but the safety point is well-taken: that switch is there for my passenger/co-pilot/wife to be able to access the Nav while i'm driving.

7. stinken1

stinken1 New Member

has anybody had bad experience breaking the wire? example: nav malfunction?