1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Disable rear-view camera?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by sphoebus, Jul 5, 2007.

1. sphoebus

sphoebus New Member

Is there a way to temporarily disable the factory-installed rear-view camera? My motor vehicles administration has informed me that we must turn off or tape over the camera display, or my daughter will not be able to use our 2007 Prius for her driving test. Since we'll also have to practice without the camera then, I would like to be able to just turn it off and on, as opposed to carrying paper and tape.

For the record, I think the mva is being kind of ridiculous. I consider the camera a safety feature and think its use should be encouraged. They say "but what if the camera didn't work?". And I say "but what if a mirror fell off?" Either way, it seems like you'd have to adapt to a temporarily less-than-ideal situation.

Thank you.

2. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sphoebus @ Jul 5 2007, 10:09 AM) [snapback]473527[/snapback]</div>
    Can't you just push the Display button and have the whole MFD turn off?
    (I don't have camera, so I don't know, I'm guessing here)

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Turn off the MFD.

Tom

4. sphoebus

sphoebus New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Jul 5 2007, 12:27 PM) [snapback]473533[/snapback]</div>
    Okay, that's so simple it never occurred to me! I've never considered turning off the display before. And I guess I've just been fixated on the idea that having to turn off the camera is dumb!

Thank you!

5. Katrina

Katrina New Member

actually, even when my display is "off", when I put it in reverse, the camera comes up. Mines an '06 though, so yrmv.
    I'd probably go the lo-tech way and stick something over the camera lense since you can stick/unstick it easily for practicing and the test. Even just cello taping a piece of paper over it would do.

6. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sphoebus @ Jul 5 2007, 01:30 PM) [snapback]473537[/snapback]</div>
    Or just put electrical tape over the lens, the Car Talk solution to a number of problems.

7. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Better than electrical tape is that blue "Painter's Tape" since it peals off easily and won't leave residue on the lens.

Does the MVA also suggest learning to drive wearing a blindfold? I mean, what if your eyes stopped working...

8. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Yet another brilliant idea/rule/regulation from another state department of motor vehicles. I agree, rediculous. They are just behind the times. You could just let her take the test in another vehicle, or as others have suggested, just turn off the MFD> but i dont know if the camera still comes on with the MFD off.

Our DMV here in NC has some absolutely rediculous rules and regs. They pretty much are an entity in and of themselves. I've had them completely ignore court orders, and deny limited driving priviliges issued by judges. But, what's a person to do? Good luck to the daughter!!! You going to buy her a Prius too??? :D

9. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Katrina @ Jul 5 2007, 01:40 PM) [snapback]473542[/snapback]</div>
    That figures. Another safety feature.

Tom

10. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think people should learn to park a car w/o a camera.....not all cars have them. What happens when they get behind the wheel of a car w/o a camera and theyhave to park? Put some tape over the lens and that's it.

11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Another suggestion is to turn on the EV mode after switching to Reverse. EV will force the screen to display the Engery screen.

12. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cairo94507 @ Jul 6 2007, 10:04 AM) [snapback]473986[/snapback]</div>
    I agree, in theory. But they don't make everyone learn how to drive a car with a manual transmission, just in case they ever need to...

13. sphoebus

sphoebus New Member

As others have mentioned, turning off the display doesn't turn off the camera! I'm leaning towards putting blue tape over the camera lens, since covering the display seems like it might be more of a distraction.

Regarding the MVA, one of the reasons they cited for not allowing backup cameras in testing is because you're supposed to keep your eyes on the road. I don't find using the camera to be any different than using the rear-view mirror as far as my eyes being on the road. Maybe they're confusing backup cameras with watching movies in a car??? I have no idea....

I feel like the Prius's rear visibility issues make the rear-view camera closer to necessary, as opposed to optional, equipment. (Though I feel I must be fully-adapted to the view from the back window because it now seems normal and unobstructed to me.) I tried to get a specific citation for the law or regulation which prevents the use of rear-view cameras in driver skills tests so that I could determine the appropriate channel to petition for change, and all they could tell me was that they mentioned it in a bulletin. Not sure how you change a bulletin, but I will send my comments to my state rep for what it's worth.

Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions!

14. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How about taping a photo behind the camera lens. Get a good picture of a woman pushing a baby carriage, recoiling in fear as she is about to be crushed by the backing car. :lol:

Tom

15. samiam

samiam Antipodean Prius Poster

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jul 7 2007, 12:32 PM) [snapback]474349[/snapback]</div>
    Over here, if you take your driving test in a car with auto transmission, your licence is annotated that you are only qualified to drive cars with automatic transmissions -- just like your licence might say you are required to wear corrective lenses. The test actually has different components depending on the kind of transmission...

16. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samiam @ Jul 10 2007, 04:32 PM) [snapback]476393[/snapback]</div>
    [sigh] not here.

17. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    After the camera display comes on, just press the info button and it comes on and the camera goes off. Same with the map function. My grandaughter is always pressing the radio button after I put it in reverse and the audio display comes on and the camera goes off.

18. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd think it best, given the purpose is a driving test, not to place the onus on the driver to switch the display off - there are enough things to remember for a driving test without adding something else! Tape over the camera lens itself is more foolproof, takes one extra task away from the driver in the test and, more crucially, should avoid any chance the of examiner inventing a new rule on the spur of the moment that the camera must not be functional when engaging reverse, not just when actually reversing. Bureaucrats are too good at inventing new rules to ignore that possibility!

19. jimosey

jimosey New Member

The Prius camera is pointed low. It is great for detecting children or pets just behind your wheels, which is what it is there for. It doesn't cover objects above waist high or anything forward of the bumper. It does not provide a good overall image of what is around you. It also doesn't work very well at all when wet from rain or washed out from intense sunlight.

A young beginning driver, learning in a car with a camera, could easily fall into the habit of relying primarily on the camera. If they are not looking all around the car, maybe you should put the blue tape over the camera.

The best solution is for a driving examiner to do their job and observe what the driver does. If they don't swivel their head, or they don't use the mirrors, or they don't check the camera, deduct the points.

20. gas guzzler

gas guzzler New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jimosey @ Jul 15 2007, 02:08 AM) [snapback]478990[/snapback]</div>
    get this; I was teaching my wife how to drive in CT, but it wasn't legal because my license was in FL-go figure!
    about the camera, I think it's more difficult to back up with it. However i like the idea of the picture of the lady pushing thee baby carriage idea the best.