1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Disable reverse beep free because of Prius Chat mention!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by springfield, Feb 24, 2010.

1. springfield

springfield New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I went to my dealer in Virginia this morning for the recall and oil change at 9,750 miles. I asked for the reverse beep to be disabled. The service mgr said they haven't done it before and it would cost $50. I mentioned Prius Chat and all the people across the country who had their dealers do it for free. When my car was ready they comped the fee...free!
    thanks to Prius Chat:-]

2. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    One way to disable that beep is to buy an Insight. That's what my wife just did. LOL.

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  4. NovaStu

NovaStu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There's an Insight in my neighborhood and one also parks in the garage in my office in DC. I got a chance to sit in one and get the feel of it at the DC Auto Show last month and it just reinforced my opinion. Every time I see an Insight I think to myself "Someday you'll grow up to be a Prius!" :)

Stu

5. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  6. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes if you were only going to use it to do that one thing, one time. But the ScanGauge has a lot of other functions, Tach, Amps to and from HV battery, tempratures, etc. and it can also read out trouble codes.

If you need to unhook the 12V battery to work on the car or replace the battery the beeps default back to continuous. Also some dealers have refused to turn the beeps off. I think I much prefer doing it myself.

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    -If- the dealer is already connecting to the car, -and if- they want to keep your business, there is no reason it shouldn't be free. As they were connecting for the brake re-program it should have been free.

If you go in to only have the reverse beep changed (or some other modifications) then you should expect to pay, unless they -really- want you to be a happy customer. It -does- cost them money to do it, after all.

8. doobs

doobs New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    any way to convert the interior beep into an exterior beep?

9. venom700

venom700 Just call me Brian...

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, honk the horn a couple of times before backing up.

10. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would be disgusted if I heard about someone paying $1 to get it programmed. :(

11. reddavid

reddavid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Had the brake recall update done today and asked the dealer to change the reverse beep. They said it would be $48. I said I knew from priuschat that other dealers do it for free and I would go elsewhere.

They came back and said they didn't realize how easy it was and took care of it for no charge.

Don't like dealers....

12. DickPhillips

DickPhillips Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I thought I read someplace here that the ScanGuage wouldn't be available for the Gen 3 Prius until sometime later this year. Is it out now? If I get one I'd rather wait for the full functioning one rather than getting one that will maybe do some things but not all.

13. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It is exactly the same ScanGauge that is used on the Gen2 Prius and can be used on any newer vehicle. It connects to the OBD II connection to the left of the steering column under the edge of the dash.

There are several (about 15) preprogrammed gauges that can be used "out of the Box". Although you need to spend about 10 minutes setting it up so it knows you have a hybrid, your fuel tank size, etc.

In addition to the preprogrammed gauges you can program xgauges which are different for each type of vehicle. Adrian Black and RobH have been hard at work and we have quite a few we can use. We also access the seatbelt beeper and backup beeper to turn them on or off with xgauge commands.

This is the ScanGauge thread:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...discussion/64406-scangaugeii-work-2010-a.html

These are the Xgauges:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AiHL0r_2nhUEdF9lVVBxOVNoN3Zva3E0NmdZTUR1eVE&hl=en

Edit: If there is a software update on the ScanGauge you can send it to them and they will upgrade it free.

1 person likes this.
  14. speakchucker

speakchucker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Free for me. Should be free for you too.

15. laplante236

laplante236 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    When I took my PIII in for the brake fix, I asked them if they could reduce the number of beeps - they said it wud cost 50.00 to do that. Since I bought my car on new years eve, I didn't really have a chance for a real dealer prep & I told them that, so they "fixed" it for free. Have 500 miles on the car now & still getting used to it.
    One thing to remember, Toyota dealers are swamped with recall work, so they are not too keen to do any favors with getting paid for them.

16. Mama_Cito95

Mama_Cito95 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When I took my 2010 to a dealership a few months back they wanted to charge me $90 for services to change the beep. It wasn't worth it. I just took it back today for the recall. Since they had to update the software for the ABS, I asked if they could change the beep while they were at it. They did it for free. I'm loving the single beep!

17. wmb

wmb Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just took my car back for the software update and also had the backup beeping changed to 1 beep at no charge. If it was wasn't for prius chat, I wouldn't have known to ask to have this done.

18. Sneezy

Sneezy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    my dealer charged $18. I won't complain.

19. California

California New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four

20. California

California New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This works for my 2007 Prius
    Turn the car on by pushing the "Power" button. It should say "Ready."
    Push the trip/odometer button until the dashboard displays "ODO" rather than "Trip A" or "Trip B."
    Turn off the car.
    Hold down the brake and turn the car back on. Wait for the "Ready" light to illuminate. Within 6 seconds, push and hold the trip/odometer button for at least 10 seconds.

Make sure the car is set for miles per hour, not kilometers per hour.
    Continue depressing the trip/odometer button while you shift from park to reverse and back to park.
    Release the trip/odometer button.
    Confirm that the trip/odometer displays "b on." Press the trip/odometer button until the display shows "b off."
    The display "b on" means "beep on," and the display "b off" means "beep off."
    Press the power button to turn off the car.

This procedure will not work if the car is set for kilometers per hour. Make sure it is set for miles per hour.