1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Disabling" a Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by danoday, Dec 15, 2005.

1. danoday

danoday Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    OK, there is some explanation involved in this one. I purchased one of VAIS's IPOD adapters for my wife's Prius as a Christmas present. Now, I have to figure out how to have it installed so she doesn't know it is there (until Christmas morning, of course).

I found a shop that is willing to put it in, but need to figure out how to get the Prius away from my wife for a day. Here's the plan: I need to disable her Prius so that it doesn't start or doesn't run temporarily. Once she trys to use it and finds it not working, I can 'offer' to take a look, and let her use my car for the day instead. Once she leaves, I can 'undo' whatever has been done to disable the car, and take it to get the VAIS unit installed.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do something to temporarily sabotage a Prius? Something easy to do that doesn't cause any permanent damage? My wife isn't technical, so it doesn't have to be too elaborate.

Dan

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Maybe you could take the gas cap off (or at least loose). That should give a warning.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would it work to hide her keys? :)

Or maybe you could disconnect the battery so it won't start, but you might have trouble explaining how it happened, and how you fixed it so easily all by your onesy.

4. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

Just pull the 12V battery link under the hood, close the hood and lock the driver's door using the mechanical key. Make sure you keep the spare fob with the mechanical key with you because you will need it to open the driver's door. Door's won't open using the SmartKey and even if she manages to get in the car using the mechanical key it won't power up.

After she leaves you simply open the door, open the hood and replace the link, Power on and drive away. B)

The downside is that radio presets will be lost (not sure about NAV POIs)

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Look honey, I've invalidated your warranty! Merry Christmas!" :)

6. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Do you have SKS? Does your wife know about the button under the steering wheel that disables SKS? Do you think that she would know to put the fob in the slot on the dash, or would she say that the power button isn't working?

Couldn't you just borrow the car for the day because someone at work would like to see your hybrid car?

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Pull the orange service plug off the HV battery.

8. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That would be the easiest and safest.

9. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

I"d just go old school. Let the air out of the left front tire and then tell her you noticed she has a flat. She leaves, you pump it up again and you're on your way. (Cigarette lighter pumps are cheap and easy to get if you don't have one already.)

10. danoday

danoday Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, that might work in a 'normal' family, but not in this case. First off, we both work from home. Second, we're a two Prius family... each of us own one!

I also bought one of the VAIS IPOD interfaces for my Prius!

Dan

11. danoday

danoday Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hmm... simple yet effective. This one will work. Thanks for the suggestion!

I also have a compressor that she probably doesn't know about.

Dan

12. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Can you take the batteries out of the fobs? No response. Must be something wrong with the RFID. Maybe the battery in this one died; try the other one. No response? Well shoot, the car must be acting up.

"Stupid hybrid high-tech RF crap. Now I have to have it towed in.
    You go on to work and I'll wait for the tow truck."

13. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

Get up a few hours early and jam the garage door in case she wakes up and goes looking for you. Then just go install it yourself. It's a better present if you tell her you did it. Just leave the cable rolled up along side the glove box and Christmas morning go out and run the cable through. Takes a few minutes. No drilling required. Won't wake her up.

[Broken External Image]:http://calpriusgroup.us/images/aka007ii/P3030715.JPG
    [Broken External Image]:http://calpriusgroup.us/images/aka007ii/P3030716.JPG