1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Disabling Beep In Reverse 2006

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Howard, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Howard

Howard New Member

I searched and searched and could not find the post concerning the disabling of the beep while in reverse. I would appreciate if someone could post a link to the post or explain the proceudre to disable the beep.

Thank you.

2. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

3. AuntBee

AuntBee New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I kinda think the beeping in reverse is a nice feature. Sometimes I forget that I'm driving in reverse and, in previous vehicles, have bump into things I shouldn't have. The reverse beeping on my Prius helps prevent that from happening. Just today, I was out for a drive in Ruby (my Prius) and and the beeping helped stop me from plowing over my neighbor's mailbox.

4. ttabbal

ttabbal New Member

It works fine. Just follow the instructions. I was also able to disable the seatbelt beeper with the same procedure, just replace the shifting with inserting and removing the seatbelt.

5. Edison

Edison Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After reading this thread, I was able to disable the reverse beeper on my new '06 Prius today. Thanks! :)

I had asked the dealer to disable it before I drove away last week, but their best mechanic couldn't figure out how to do it. They told me to make an appointment and leave the car one day so they could work on it. I called the salesman as soon as I made the fix, and he asked for a copy of the procedure.

6. baddprius

baddprius New Member

7. baddprius

baddprius New Member

8. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

I think this procedure is in the owner's manual !!

9. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    consider this.....

Your at a stop light. Your kids are playing around. One of them hits the gear shift knob. It goes into reverse. But you have disabled the beeping sound. You don't know about the change. The lights change to green. You step on the gas and bam, you hit the car in back of ya. Oh well.

10. Zacher

Zacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep, really living on the razor's edge here.

11. Sho-Bud

Sho-Bud Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In that case: sue Toyata, for making it possible to disable the beep! :p

12. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The problem with the factory backup beep is that it plays through the speakers - you can hear it, but the pedestrian behind you can't. Better to disable the speaker beep and add a real backup beeper, to warn people your car is in reverse motion. And you can hear it too.

13. harrv

harrv Member

You have very naughty children.

14. Edison

Edison Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    IMHO, the beeper would be just fine if it beeped two or three times to notify you that the car was in reverse and then stopped. It was the continuous beeping, say during parallel parking, that was extremely annoying.

15. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree, this is my preference. Have you done this? Any recommendations?

(1 more day...!)

16. brayder

brayder New Member

I was able to kill the reverse and seatbelt beeps. The automatic rearview camera is notice enough for me...

17. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No doubt!

I too have reversed into things that I shouldn't have. Namely teeny tiny sports cars that snuck up behind my live-parking in my SUV - twice. Oh yeah, and I reversed into my honda in my parked on the other side of the apex in my driveway behind me - completely invisible from the cabin of the truck. Twice! THAT was embarrasing. Anyway, at least those are the only accidents I've ever had in all my years of driving, knock on wood!

Well, my package #8 arriving this weekend will have the reverse camera, which is as good a warning as any - I'll be disabling the beep.

As for the external beeping sound, which would be my preference - I think my neighbours would really hate to hear me ever pulling out of the driveway at 10 or 11 pm. It would have been really nice if the Prius had an external beep with a button on the reverse camera screen to quickly silence it. Just my $0.02

Dave