1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Disabling reverse beep/seatbelt beep on an 06'

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Paradox, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I read somewhere on PC how to disable the annoying reverse beep and seatbelt beep but I guess it was for the 04/05 model. I tried the procedure on my 06' and didn't have any success. I may have very well done it wrong so if it is the same procedure please describe in detail what has to be done and if there is a new procedure for the 06' anyone have a good tech who told them how to do it yet? And if so please share it with us! :)

Also, on a side note, anyone know if coastaletechs's EV mod works on an 06' yet?

2. Kestrel

Kestrel Bird geek

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. priusblue

priusblue New Member

I disabled the reverse beep on my '06 the day I got it. The procedure I got from http://john1701a.com/ (the user guide partway down the home page for HSD) worked great. I'm not sure if this is the same procedure listed on this site, but probably so. It helps to have 2 people, I think. The seat belt thing doesn't bother me since I usually buckle up before I start the car, so I haven't yet disabled that.

4. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just as a safety reminder.....

The reason the beep exists "inside" the cabin is to let you know that you are, in fact, in reverse gear. This may be odd at first blush but if you accidently hit the rear gear you would normally have no idea you would be in rear gear. Say a piece of clothing got ahold of the shifter and you didn't notice. The beeping would alert you to it. I personally have made the decision to leave the beeping on for that very reason. Your mileage may vary. :)

5. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you have someone help by reading the instructions, make sure that they aren't sitting in the passenger seat. Someone will probably correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that previous posts said that having a passenger in the seat kept the "dance" from working.

Regarding the seat belt beep, you have to do the "dance" twice, once for the driver, and then a second time for the passenger. It is also possible that the beeps will still occur, but only four or five beeps instead of continuously.

6. priusblue

priusblue New Member

My husband was in the driver's seat and I was in the passenger seat when we disabled our reverse beep, and it worked fine. Not sure about the seatbelt thing, though.

7. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    that's for sure. The Prius is so quiet that it's difficult to get used to. You have to be a little more alert than someone in a gas-only vehicle. I just wish that they'd give you some settings to play with so that you could make the reverse beep less annoying.

8. Astrotoy7

Astrotoy7 New Member

This is one tiny gripe I had with my beloved 2004.... the Prii released here in Oz cant have the beeps turned off...

I am getting used to it though, so no biggie :)

9. frankie_delaware

frankie_delaware Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been concerned about this, too, so I haven't decided if I want to disable the beep or not. I'm thinking the backup camera screen is a good alternatative indication (if you have that option).

I've never felt I needed a reverse beep in my other cars, the main difference I see is that the shifter position doesn't indicate that I'm in reverse.

The beep sure is annoying, though.

fd

10. jacaufie

jacaufie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I was able to stop the reverse beep following the instructions mentioned earlier in this thread.

The seatbelt beep, on the other hand, persists. I've toggled it to 'b-OFF' and it still beeps 4-5 times. As someone mentioned, I think this is an improvement over continuous beeping but still annoying. What is the car, my mother? I *always* wear my seatbelts and feel naked if I don't. :)

I will look for that electrical connector in the back of the seat to see if I can *really* disable it.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I still can't disable the driver's seatbelt beep and enable the passenger seatbelt beep

12. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going to give it a go later on again and see if I can get it to work...

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

i think your concerns illustrate a highly unlikely scenario. to shift to a moving gear when not moving, your foot must be on the brake, otherwise it simply goes to neutral. accidently shifting to reverse is very unlikely

14. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

Is there a way to make the rear beeps stop after 4-5 beeps as well? I don't mind the 'reminder' for just a moment, but I feel like an idiot in this tiny car backing out of a space with that loud beep going. I don't care too much about the seatbelt, since I wear one anyway, but it does grate on me that Toyota doesn't have this on a quick 'turn it on or off' settings panel.

15. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    that would be a cool option...i have not heard of that to be honest with ya. i guess if the beep wasnt so loud (frequency is also very irritating to me) i might consider living with it.

the seatbelts still do a single beep. would be nice if backup was a three beeper or something

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine's the reverse. I wanted to reverse so I popped the shifter in reverse. I must've moved it too fast and it didn't register. When I let go of the brake pedal, the car moved forward. I almost hit some people walking in front of my car!

17. OUscarb

OUscarb Member

The best way to disable the seatbelt beeps on an '06 is to use'em. Get in fasten up and walla "No Beeps"! Safer too I hear. ;)

18. jacaufie

jacaufie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would never argue against using seat belts. I always use them. But I also don't need a reminder to do so.

The point here is that I really don't need the car to beep at me as I'm reaching for the belt and pulling it across my chest to buckle it. This is annoying and unnecesary. And even 5 beeps is too much. You should be able to turn this off.

19. duanerw

duanerw senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I disabled the backup beep on my 05 and unable to do it with the 06.I checked with
    the service mgr and he said if i disable it i will void the warranty.I have seen that
    posted here a few months ago and didnt believe it. now i do and will let well enough
    alone. you can do as you please but check it out first............

20. QED

QED New Member

My salesman told me about turning off the reverse beep when I picked up my '06! <_<
    It's not clear why they enabled the option if it voids the warranty.