1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Disabling Seatbelt Beep

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by DougSlug, Mar 30, 2006.

1. DougSlug

DougSlug Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I attempted to disable the seatbelt beep by following the procedure for disablng the reverse beep, except substituting a 'buckle/unbuckle' step for the 'shift to reverse/park' step. I got the 'b-on' indicator, toggled it to 'b-off' with the ODO switch, but it did not disable the seatbelt beep. By all indications, it seems like it should have worked.

Does anyone know if this "mod" was disabled in the 2006 model? The procedure worked just fine for disabling the reverse beep.

Thanks,
    Doug

2. nmrickie

nmrickie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I've had a similar problem in my '06.

On my '05, disabling the seatbelt beep didn't totally disable it -- after five beeps it would go quiet instead of beeping constantly.

The same thing happened on my '06, except that it did not disable the passenger beep at all. This is annoying because if my dog jumps on the seat the beep goes off and stays on until he jumps off. Unless I'm also doing something wrong, it looks like disabling it doesn't accomplish much other than limiting the driver side beeps to five.

3. DaWeav

DaWeav Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm in a 2005 Prius, and when I performed the procedure for turning off the reverse beep in my 2005. it worked GREAT. But, I noticed the seatbelt alarm only beeps about 5 times after I turn on the car. So, except for the LED indicator in the dash for either the driver or passenger seat respectfully, I get no audio beep warning after those initial 5 beeps after power on. When I try the 'buckle/unbuckle' procedure, it shows b-on, but again, the darn thing only beeps 5 times right after I turn on the car.

My delima is that I pick up a passenger on my way to work, and when he gets into the car, the only thing that happens is the LED indicator in the dash comes on for the passenger side seat belt not being buckled and no audible alarm sounds at all. That frustrates me because sometimes we don't notice that he did not put on his seat belt. I guess I'm different because I want the darn audible alarm to sound all the time if the seat sensor is activated so that the old fart (ME) won't forget to have him put it on!

So, I guess I have the seat belt alarm feature all screwed up now on the 2005, unless this is by design...

Now that I'm thinking about this topic, when I pick up my passenger, normally I don't go into Park at all, I simply just hold the break until he gets in, and then we take off again. I remember one day it was raining, and I pulled up and did put the car in Park while I was waiting for him to come out of his house, but I don't recall that when I went back to Drive if the audible alarm sounded.

Tomorrow I'm going to try putting the car in park when he gets in, then take off and listen for the audible seat belt alarm...If that works, then I just have to remember to put the car in Park everytime he gets in so that the seat belt alarm will function properly...

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i had to try mine multiple times. it didn't want to register the seatbelt. I eventually turned off. I between me and that blinking red light right in front of the passenger, they tend to always buckle up. they really hate the light. drives them mad :)

5. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nmrickie @ Mar 31 2006, 12:51 AM) [snapback]232773[/snapback]</div>
    You are going through the entire procedure, start to finish, twice, correct? You need to do the dance once for the drive side seatbelt, then turn off the car, start over, and do it again for the passenger side seatbelt.

I did Reverse, drivers seatbelt beep, and passengers seatbelt beep on my new 06 the week I got it, and it worked as documented.

Otherwise my laptop bag in the passenger seat would register as a small child, and beep at me all the way to work. A couple of days, I put the seatbelt on it...

-Ken

6. nmrickie

nmrickie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kdmorse @ Apr 2 2006, 10:58 PM) [snapback]234036[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks! I never thought of trying it on both sides. I'll give it a try.

7. DaWeav

DaWeav Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, nothing I do seems to work.

Question on the 05 Prius, does the passenger side seatbelt warning even BEEP? I can't seem to get the passenger side to do the b-on or b-off thing in the ODO no matter how many times we buckle and unbuckle it according to the procedures. We get the reverse beep and drivers side seatbelt beep indicators on the ODO, but not the passenger side at all after trying it a bunch of times.

I don't think the passenger side really ever beeped. Looking at the manual, it shows the drivers side with indicator and alarm, while it only says indicator for the passenger side in the manual.

Guess I'll just have to disconnect the battery to reset back to factory to see if the passenger side seatbelt warning ever sounds an audible BEEP at all.