1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Disabling VSC?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Recovering Gas Guzzler, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Recovering Gas Guzzler

With only 15,000 miles and still under a year on the stock tires, I can't justify putting MXV4 S8's on my daily driver yet. Is there any way to electronically disable VSC?

VSC intervenes far too early, in my opinion. I was taking a right turn around 30-35mph and VSC decided to lock the front left tire, causing my car to understeer for a couple long seconds. I was afraid it wouldn't ever let go and send me straight for a curb, but it finally decided to let me drive again. So I went on my merry way. :oops:

Understanding the dynamics of that situation, VSC probably did more harm than good. I was using all of the left front tire's grip for the turn. When it decided to lock the wheel, it used the tire's grip for stopping and not turning, so the car went straight even though I wanted it to turn. Oh well.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately, you can't. Even with other Toyota vehicles, you can only disable TRAC not VSC. It's Honda vehicles that allow VSA to be disabled but not TCS. Weird.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, you can, but you shouldn't and I won't post the technique...but it's out there if you try. Also, I believe the proceedure (which is complicated) has to be gone through every time you start up.

The TRAC is to protect MG1 (I think) and prevent wheel spinning. I have to say that if you're getting VSC kicking in that often then either there's a problem with your VSC set up or you're driving way too fast. I've heard mine beep once and only once in 20 months of ownership and that includes driving on wet, snow covered, and gravel roads at very posted speed limits.

Although you may be a NASCAR quality driver and I just don't know it I suspect that if your VSC is kicking in then you're at the edge of loss of control. As I said, it's possible that your VSC is poorly adjusted or a speed sensor or yaw sensor is off or something, but my guess would be driver error.

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well doc, I was referring to an easy to push button on the dash :D haha. Hmm, well I know you can disable TRAC cause someone posted it. Wasn't it for some sort of testing (as well as the Bonneville Salt Flats top speed run) but VSC too? I don't see the harm in disabling VSC since it'll act like a Prius without Pkg #4 or #6.

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You may be right. I was thinking about the TRAC, but assumed that in a VSC equipt car they would be linked...that's probably a bad assumption to make.

I stand corrected

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh all right.

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh sure, rub my face in it...I'm already practically suicidal over the error and now this!! :wink:

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :oops: I meant no harm. Nooooooooooooooooo heh

9. Recovering Gas Guzzler

Heheh. I'm by no means a NASCAR-quality driver but I am a licensed racer. VSC is helpful for 99% of drivers on the road and for them, it's probably a good thing that it kicks in when it does. However, I feel that it cuts in way too aggressively (even before any audible tire noise).

I guess I'll have to wait till my Integrity's wear out and replace them with something grippier. :(

10. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

There is a process to disable VSC independent of disabling TRAC.

11. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

My BMW has a button to turn it on and off, I would think you should be able to find a power wire to it to install a switch on.

12. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

VSC is either actually in the Skid (brake) ECU, or integrated into the Yaw sensor. If you don't have VSC, only difference is that you don't have a Yaw sensor or a Steering angle sensor. Both of these have a CAN interface.

So, no, I don't think you can just kill power to something and thus disable VSC, without causing other problems.

However, with a wire jump, you can disable only VSC for diagnostics. If pin 12 of DLCIII is grounded, then VSC will be disabled on power up.