1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Disappointed in Sun Visors

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by DoMo324, Jul 16, 2009.

1. DoMo324

DoMo324 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Love almost everything about my new Prius II except the sun visors. So much thought went into making this car and they dropped the ball on something easy and cheap to make correctly. Toyota really should be ashamed of such small, insufficient visors. How hard would it have been to make them slide???

2. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Agreed. Unless the sun is at a 45 degree angle to the front of the car, they're pretty much useless when used on the side windows.

3. MUPAUL

MUPAUL 55 MPG Average

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Agreed. Need an after market replacement. They are so small it's hard to imagine Toyota not putting an extender in.

4. CAR4TWO

CAR4TWO New Member

Model:
    III
    What I don't like about the Sunvisors are the warning stickers. Anyone successful at removing those?

5. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've done it on previous cars, just haven't gotten around to it on this one. There's a thread where I posted the technique I've used, and a different method from another poster.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    THANK YOU!!

I've been saying that for five years!

7. accordingly

accordingly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sunvisors seem fine to me.

Now that you all have been complaining I'll be doomed to have sun in my eyes forever of course :).

8. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I don't find this hard to imagine because Toyota didn't have an extender on any previous Prius either. So why would they change now?

9. CAR4TWO

CAR4TWO New Member

Model:
    III
    I tried heating up the stickers with a hair dryer and that didn't work. I have yet to try Goo Gone. Someone will get them off and then tell us all how they did it. I think it is going to take something like Goo Gone to losten the glue holding those stickers on tight. Will Goo Gone damage the visor that is the million dollar question. What we need is a third visor to practice on.

10. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    As I mentioned, there was a thread on this, and after doing a search on "visor" guess what--you started that thread:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...47-any-tricks-removing-sun-visor-sticker.html

Have you tried the acetone method I outlined there?

11. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I experienced the visor problem the other day and was surprised that they didn't extend out. Bah Toyota!

12. BigDeal

BigDeal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    My 2000 Camry I used to own had the sliding extensions on the visors and I loved them. I was surprised and disappointed that Toyota didn't put them in my Prius!

13. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    OK Prius team. They want their Prius to be perfect. Get back to work! ;)

14. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  15. wfolta

wfolta Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Two other major issues I have with the sun visors:

1. The driver side should have a pocket you can slip your registration and insurance cards into. My Subaru had that, and I though that California, or somewhere, had made it mandatory. I haven't gotten pulled over in years, but in this day and age, it's makes the encounter much easier when you reach someplace simple instead of into a someplace the policeman cannot see (and which happens to be able to hold large objects).

2. The visor is so fat that you cannot clip a garage door opener to it. (If the rear-view mirror with garage opening capability were a cheap ala carte option, I would have gotten it as well.)

1 person likes this.
  16. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have seen extenders done two different ways. The picture here, is one like in my Honda Odyssey. In it, there is a little flap (visible when the visor is lowered), so it is on the side window, and it will alolow you to pull it open, and get an additional 8 inches or so of sun blocking.

By contrast, the visors that were in my Ford Taurus (2005), simply slid along the pivot point. Meaning that if I turned and lowered the visor to the side window, I would be able to simply pull it away from the hinge, and the visor would slide out about 6 to 8 inches. I had to be careful when swinging it back in front of me, so as not to slap my rear-view mirror with it.

Either of these two feature would only add a few dollars at most to the car, but would go a long way to the comfort of the passenger and driver. Consider it a safety feature, so the driver will have less eye fatigue when driving with the sun coming in the side window.

Attached Files:

17. MUPAUL

MUPAUL 55 MPG Average

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    LOL. I never owned a previous Prius, only test drove a 2008 and 2009 and didn't notice the short sun visors. I find it even harder to imagine, since they have had years to improve this and I'm sure have had plenty of complaints.

I find it funny that I've been reading this site, seeing people's complaints on the 2010, and once I got my 2010, most of what people complain about isn't an issue for me in the least bit. But here, the short sun visor is an issue since when the sun is coming in the side window, I have to lean forward to allow the sun visor to block the sun/keep it out of my eyes. LOL

18. slamproductions

slamproductions New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Any chance we can take sun visors off any other Toyota car and have them fit?

19. ibmindless

ibmindless Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Gee, I'd really be interested if someone has found a solution for the pitifully short sun visors on the Prius. I actually searched the web for a product, but they seem rather cheap. My prior Sequoia had a nice built-in visor extension --- any ideas as to whether that would "bolt-in" as a replacement for the Prius visor?

20. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Help is on the way.

2010 Prius VI option package

Larger sun visors
    Nitrogen filled tires
    Mud flaps
    Bottom glove box lock