1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Disassembling the Dash

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by peakfinder, Oct 28, 2006.

1. peakfinder

peakfinder New Member

After readding many threads, ordering and collecting parts, and assembeling all the tools and parts need to support several mods, I'm ready to start installing several mods including: Factory EV switch, rear camera switch, Speed sensor switch and always hot 12 volt plug and addtional 12 volt plug.

I thought the I would start with the additonal 12 volt outlet and the always hot outlet as shown here: http://www.evnut.com/prius_12v_outlets.htm

I have not seen any instructions on removing the lower dash apron the the forward 12 outlet is attached to.

Searchs did not come up with anything. How does this lower dash piece come off? I see there is some sort of tab on the right-hand side, but I'm not sure what to do with it. Even with that tab removed I'd bet there is some other tabs/screws somewhere to also remove?

I'm confident with a soldering iron and volt meter, but I'm afraid of fat-fingering some dash piece and messing up the fit and finish on my new Prius. Doe's anyone know were there are clear instructions for dash disassembly, perferably with pictures or diagrams?

Thanks for any help http://priuschat.com/style_images/1/folder...icons/icon9.gif

Joe

2. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PeakFinder @ Oct 28 2006, 05:24 PM) [snapback]340058[/snapback]</div>
    This is by far the easiest piece to remove. And it doesn't require any other part of the dash to be removed.

First, look at the bottom side of it in the passenger foot well. You'll see a button-like thing about the size of a quarter. This is a plastic fastener that kind of resembles a screw by just has fins instead of screw threads. You have to pop it out before you remove the panel. To remove it, simply reach your fingers under the panel, near the button, and give a firm tug outward. This will either pop it completely out, or enough that you can pull it the rest of the way out.

Now just grab the panel on both sides, near the top and give a nice firm tug. The panel is held in by a claw and a yellow snap fastener on each side, behind the "tabs". (The cigarette lighter power adapter is on one of these "tabs"). All it takes is a good, quick, firm tug of the panel to release it.

It pops on just as easy.

3. mtsarpilot

mtsarpilot Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PeakFinder @ Oct 28 2006, 03:24 PM) [snapback]340058[/snapback]</div>
    Chris Dragon has posted the ultimate guide to disassembling the dash. This will give you all the info you need. Check it out at: Chris Dragon's Stereo Install

4. peakfinder

peakfinder New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mtsarpilot @ Oct 28 2006, 10:18 PM) [snapback]340187[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks so much for the tips! I'm inspired to try again this afternoon after church. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Joe

5. peakfinder

peakfinder New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PeakFinder @ Oct 29 2006, 09:03 AM) [snapback]340260[/snapback]</div>

Wow, your tips and the great PDF are a fantastic resource. It removed the lower front cowling just like your instructions said. Now, I will start the mods- I'm thinking while I have the dash apart I will do the speed switch, always on camera, hot all-the-time 12VDC outlet, and my new DICE installation all at once. If I just had some time off this week!

Joe

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Just make sure each thing works before going on to the next. If you have a problem you'll at least have an idea where to start.