1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Discoloration inside headlight lens

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by jimbfla1300, Mar 6, 2013.

1. jimbfla1300

jimbfla1300 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2002 that I recently "bumped" into a wall, requiring replacement of the drivers side headlight assembly (along with a little body work). The body shop said they would buff the passenger side lens to make it look just like the new one, but when I picked up the car the headlights looked like day and night. The foreman told me that they buffed the lens as best as they could, but the discoloration was on the inside and that there was no way to take the lens off the assembly. Is this true, or just trying to sell me another headlight assembly? Many thanks for any response.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A 1988 Mazda I had once gave full instructions in the shop manual for how to heat around the edges with a heat gun, softening the adhesive, and separate the lens from the reflector.

I also tried that some time later on a friend's old Volvo, and never softened the adhesive, but did end up completely changing the shape of the headlight. Must all depend on what glue and plastic were used.

My friend then got a replacement from a salvage yard, which looked very nice. :)

-Chap

3. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I haven't heard of any prius headlights getting discolored on the inside but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

The lens on the headlight can be removed however the bodyshop won't take that liability cause if it get moisture later, u can hold them responsible.

I would just try to buff the lens myself just to make sure.

Besides, I'll bet u 100% that they replaced ur light with an aftermarket light & not OEM

4. jimbfla1300

jimbfla1300 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure you are correct about the aftermarket replacement. I asked the body shop to buff it some more anyway and it came out a little better. I can still see the difference, but not as much as before. The new one will probably fade to match soon enough. Thanks for the reponse.