1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Disconnected part near rear left tire 2004 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by zimblon33, May 5, 2019.

1. zimblon33

zimblon33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2004 Prius that had a flat on the rear left tire. While changing the tire to the donut spare I noticed a part behind there that is disconnected it appears:

IMG_6852.JPG

IMG_6855.JPG

IMG_6846.JPG

I can't quite tell what this part is for, but it is not anchored to anything, it looks like it broke from the portion with the two bolts there on the body, possibly. Does anyone know what this is for? I couldn't seem to find any parts diagram for this portion of the car and thought I'd post here to get some input. Thanks.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Looks like headlight leveling mechanism. If it is, the dangling piece should be welded to the side of the solid rear cross beam.

Weld failed due to rust? Look for weld remnants on the beam, that's where it should go, get it rewelded. I would try to squirt some grease into all the elbows, try to loosen them up first.

3. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's some info from Repair Manual. Unlike third gen, second gen headlight leveling mechanism looks to be bolted. There's a couple of studs on the axle beam, the bracket drops over them and is secured with nuts. Maybe the elbows in the mechanism seized from lack of lube, and the studs snapped off, aided by Michigan winters?

Periodic disconnection of this mechanism from the rear axle, working the elbows back and forth, occasional fresh lube, should be in the maintenance schedule. Sadly is not. A good lube might be something that sprays in liquid, then gels.

I have a can of garage door roller lube that works like that: good for getting grease into linkages:

Fehr Multi-Purpose Lube (Blue) X 12 Cans

The guy that last did our garage door opener left me the can. (y)

Attached Files:

#3 Mendel Leisk, May 5, 2019
    Last edited: May 5, 2019
    bisco likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Paying more attention, looks like the bolts and studs are intact, the bracket has fractured:

upload_2019-5-5_18-52-48.png

I'd guess because the linkages are rusted solid. The rear axle goes up and down with bumps and something had to give. Maybe you could work the linkages loose, get those nuts off, and cobble an L-shaped braket with roughly the same dimensions, you might be out of the woods. The electronics might be seized as well though.

All of this is so you're headlights go up and down with movement of the car. It might be ok to just leave it as-is, keep going. Looks like rust is really taking a toll.

Here's another thread:

Headlight leveling sensor failure - detailed post with pictures | PriusChat

#4 Mendel Leisk, May 5, 2019
    Last edited: May 5, 2019