1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Discount on 2010MY?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by anonymoususer, Jul 16, 2010.

1. anonymoususer

anonymoususer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can anyone comment on how much their local dealerships are discounting 2010 Prius? Any manufacturer rebates or discounts besides the financing specials?

2. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Even if we had great news to report here on the 'mainland', you have stated before in one of the many threads that you started that there is a virtual monopoly on the Island, so it would not help you at all to know. As far as manufacturer rebates, I am not aware of any. Any financing deals that you are likely to find are decided by the local dealership groups and regional Toyota distributors which seem to limit your access to them in Hawaii anyway.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Desert Toyota in Tucson is running TV ads showing $3K discount from MSRP on 2010 Prius.

If you want to visit Arizona and buy a Prius while here, you'll have to pay Matson around $1K to ship the car from Long Beach to Honolulu via freighter.

1 person likes this.
  4. marduk

marduk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In the NW region, Toyota is running $1K cash back or 0% for 60month.

You can go to Buyatoyota.com, pick a zip or city and see what's the regional discount.

1 person likes this.
  5. anonymoususer

anonymoususer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why wouldn't it help me at all?

If Toyota Motor Sales is offering a Manufacturer to Dealer rebate/discount/holdback for '10 models, i'm sure i can get a similar discount here in Hawaii or at least try. Depreciation is the main part of my strategy in trying to get a discounted '10 model. If not, i will gladly wait for a '11.

Thanks Patrick Wong and Marduk for the information.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Around here the AAA price is now $500 under invoice for a base II. Liberty Toyota reports the following factory incentives: 0% for 36 months, 1.9% for 48 months & 2.9% for 60 months along with the 2 year/25000 mile premium auto care package which also expires Aug 2.

1 person likes this.
  7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No harm in trying. The worst that will happen is that they'll say no. You'll have to see what is the inventory level of new 2010 Prius there. If it is excessive then the dealerships will be more likely to discount. If the level is moderate then they probably won't.

My dad in Honolulu paid MSRP for a 2010 Prius IV a few months ago. No willingness on the part of the dealership to give him any discount although that was the fourth Prius (and fifth Toyota) that he bought there. Meanwhile TMS USA was offering financing incentives due to the adverse publicity regarding unintended acceleration, the generally poor economic conditions in the US, etc.

Note that Servco Pacific is an independent distributor (not associated with Toyota Motor Sales USA) and the Toyota dealerships in Hawaii are owned by Servco. Therefore you won't find intra-brand price competition as you would find in the continental US where the dealerships are independent, not owned by TMS USA.

8. anonymoususer

anonymoususer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, that's the problem with negotiating with Servco. I was planning to use depreciation, as well as discounts other dealerships are offering (driving depreciation down even further), and the Honda Insight as negotiating points. If i feel i am not getting a good price, i'll just wait for the 2011 and pay MSRP. Most i'd pay is maybe invoice... being so late in the model year and the major recalls there has got to be some sort of manufacturer (Servco Pacific) to dealer (Servco dealership) discount. But who knows? It still seems Toyota is the most popular brand here.

But in Servcos defense, they have fair pricing (MSRP) all year long and never have a dealership markup like every other dealership in Hawaii. In fact Servco makes their own MSRP and the Priuses MSRP here is $400 lower than Toyota Motor Sales.

Anybody else mind contributing any published Prius discounts?

9. Colonel Ronson

Colonel Ronson New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There aren't any incentives from toyota when i bought it last week. The only "incentive" is the free 2 year maintenance. However, i'm pretty sure holdback is around $750. my MSRP was $23,900, and i got my Prius II for $21,650. That's almost $1000 under the base factory invoice.

Go to Truecar.com, you can usually find good rates there.

1 person likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that sounds like a great discount on a II to me, congrats!:)

11. Colonel Ronson

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    haha thanks. They originally quoted me $22900. I told them no thanks. As i walked out, they dropped to $22000. I was like, uh let me think about it. They asked me what it would take to buy right there, and dropped another $200. It went down to $21,800. I went home anyways, saying i would talk to my parents. My parents argued with them on the phone for another few hours and dropped it down to $21,650.

Went into the dealer at 830am, drove home with a new prius at 730pm.

Key is to walk out despite whatever deal they give you. Because they'll do everything to try and get you to come back in, and there's your chance to try for a lower price. And they included all the window tint and paint protection package as well.

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    $21,650 is about what a base G2 Prius cost in 2004. Amazing deal.
    Was trade-in involved ?

13. Colonel Ronson

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No trade in. My parents paid in cash, so that probably gave them a little more lee-way in terms of discounting.

14. anonymoususer

anonymoususer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good job sir. Enjoy your new ride.

15. Blizzard10

Blizzard10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Toyota's official website for special offers & incentives.

Buyatoyota.com