1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Discount possible on buying two Prii at same time?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by Judas Prius, May 27, 2011.

1. Judas Prius

Judas Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I ask because my mother is interested in a Prius also. She mentioned possibly getting a discount if we bought them together from the same dealer. The quote I got from my local dealer was $25,037 for a Prius Two (includes delivery processing & handling) before taxes and whatever fees there are.

I don't think it's possible right now with the shortage, but maybe after summer or in 6 months?

It's sooooooooo hard waiting. I'm ready for a Prius, like yesterday!

Although, reading the following post by Paul58 made me rethink buying now and waiting... it totally floored me.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-main-forum/61492-2010-prices-paid-details-134.html

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably not. but maybe they won't charge you as much over msrp! waiting would definately be your most cost effective option. gas is coming down, things will improve in japan and a new case of u/a could scare away some buyers!

3. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    "$25,037 for a Prius Two"

I'd wait. I got a IV with Nav for only $1k more. If you can afford to wait, you'll get a better equipped car.

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is easy for us that have a Prius to say wait, but really, if you can wait, wait. This is about the worse time to try and get one.

5. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You're right spidey. New car fever can be an overwhelming force to deal with.

6. Judas Prius

Judas Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the replies. The more I read the threads on pricing, and what great deals people get at the end or beginning of the year, the more I think I'll wait. Makes me wonder if the prices will come down even more with the Plug-Ins coming out for next year.

I guess I can wait. I get a good Prius fix just by reading threads here :D

7. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'm amazed at the assumptions here -- and feel strongly that I need to correct one thing: the Plug in models are order-only. They are ordered online and built to spec. They don't affect things the way YOU think they will. The Prius plug in has a hybrid battery and the reason the PLug In may end up being delayed is the very reason we don't have new Prius to sell now: not enough parts and not enough electricity to build enough cars. I don't see a "glut" of cars happening, honey. Not for at least a year. Not with fuel at an all time high in CA and the US.

I'm all for wishful thinking, and I am all for optimism, but remember: as you kick back and wait "patiently" for a deal, the line for the car itself forms long and longer...

8. evtran

evtran New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am in the same position as Judas Prius..wait, or not to wait. DianeWhitemire maybe right and there may not be a glut of cars anytime soon. But waiting till fall is not a bad idea as one of the factors of this shortage will change. Toyota is ramping up production of the Prius and is expected to reach normal levels by November. So with the release of the new Prius V(Versatile) end of summer, the demand for the standard Prius should get diluted...regarding the Plugin Prius, I believe it will affect the demand for the normal Prius as well because quite frankly, all the people who would of bought the standard Prius are now going to buying directly from the Toyota site..Which means what? -lower demand for the standard Prius...This is just speculation, but I wonder if buying a Plugin Prius directly online off spec will mean that the dealerships and salesperson like Dianne will see any commission, if at all. But I see her point, which is that you can't predict the future..But I don't think waiting the fall till things settle will hurt at all and I don't believe the LINE will increase in length..but at worst, just a standard wait time.

9. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    When you order your plug in online, where did you imagine you'd pick that lil devil up? at the online Prius plug in carousel? :) LOL the cars we sell get sold @ a dealership only.

There are only so many hybrid batteries to go around and they are so very behind as it is. And, a line is what creates a wait time ... Sorry to try and reply and correct with brevity but this iPhone keypad and my fingernails are not a match made in heAven. This is a man's phone! A woman's would have a pull out keyboard!!!

Dianne

10. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought I could buy online and have it sent Fed Ex overnight to my house. :D Dianne, on a more serious note we plan on buying a v when we move and I wish you were on the East Coast or Mid west cause I'd buy from you.

1 person likes this.
  11. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I've been doing Toyota since 1980.
    Seen a lot... and seen so many changes with this company, it's still an amazing company to stand for.

I also have a different perspective. Mom logic, I call it.

Right now, you have very little competition for that hybrid battery. We have a few Camry hybrids, and VERY few Highlander hybrids. The lion's share of the NiMH batteries are for Prius... even with 10 different models in Japan as hybrids, vans too.

Flip forward in time to post quake, with a Prius v on its way, a plug-in Prius AND a little Prius C. You have no materials or facilities right now strong or ramped up enough to gather the proper parts and materials to MAKE a Prius. We are already seeing the part of the post-quake blues I predicted a couple months back: most of the Prius coming are going to be II's. Some III's and IVs and V packages yes, but the chips and parts needed to construct anything with higher technology than a II package (base car) is going to be meted out and limited severely.

The problem with that is the II is the one with such minimal markup (it's only a little over a grand), it's going to be hard to find anyone selling them at sticker. You'll find lots of places adding PPO's (port extras) to pack the sticker higher. You will find stores tryin to sell $500 wheel upgrades from their aftermarket suppliers for $1995 or leather that's 800 bucks for $1995. That sort of thing. Dealres don't do this to be malicious. They do this to survive, and keep the profits flowing so they can stay open... even when they drop to a 0-5 day supply of many cars and trucks.

When we (myself included) were able to sell Prius for under cost and even all the way back under the holdback etc, lose $ on the cars just to keep them moving + do super low rates and leases, yes, you all got wildly crazy and bought cars - things were different. There were reasons we did this to keep the regional average for Prius up for sales. PRE QUAKE. That was the one thing no one expected. I sold a lot of Prius in 2010 and even 2009 and many at incredibly low pricing, cash for clunkers time, and beyond, but last I checked, I & other like me who cheap-sold c ars --- we are not standing in front of the Pope being nominated for Sainthood. So when things change dramatically, and dealerships need to keep the lights on and the doors open, we're not the opposite of saints. The 2010 pricing and deals and overwhelming glut of Prius was really a long term drain on dealer resources after the Feb 2010 debacle of the brake issue. Toyota did everything they could to put cars on the road and get past what they knew was not the problem it had been built up to be.

Fast forward to now.. with 20-30% of the normal stock being shipped AND the majority of that stock shipped being II models... and no other models to turn to to make up that difference in expected income... because ALL models are scarce... so you have a market right now that's a lot like the aftermath of cash-4-clunkers in its design.

BY the way, if you buy 1 car or 3 cars or 10 cars, there's no big whoopie in it for any dealer. My invoice doesn't change just because you get 2 cars and I am not sure where that "if I buy two cars" stigma came from other than some old car guy talk... so if you hear sold salesman say you're getting a better deal for getting two Prius at the same time right now, he's fulla crap. Whatever you do on 1, you can do on 3.

That said, I predict better days ahead for stock on many models... but damn, 15 states getting Plug ins and not enough batteries already ... I don't like what I see ahead. That's just a few thoughts out of my head today.

2 people like this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well said dianne, as always. i have many complaints with many dealers. and i know i'm not always right. but i never complain about price. imo any business should have the right to charge what they want as long as it isn't gov regulated, and i have the right to move on down the road. make hay while the sun shines!

p.s. there is something to be said for paying a little more for quality service.

1 person likes this.
  13. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    +1

14. brewcrew9

brewcrew9 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The problem with that is the II is the one with such minimal markup (it's only a little over a grand), it's going to be hard to find anyone selling them at sticker. You'll find lots of places adding PPO's (port extras) to pack the sticker higher. You will find stores tryin to sell $500 wheel upgrades from their aftermarket suppliers for $1995 or leather that's 800 bucks for $1995. That sort of thing. Dealres don't do this to be malicious. They do this to survive, and keep the profits flowing so they can stay open... even when they drop to a 0-5 day supply of many cars and trucks.

I am sorry BUT, I call BS on what the dealers make. The fact of the matter is, The mark up price that everyone knows about is only what the sales Force is told about and it is only where they (the salesforce) make their money. Do you really think that any dealership would stay open only making a $1000 per car. Oh poor dealerships. In fact, anyone telling you that it is probably ok, that dealers sell over MSRP (Sticker Price) is just full of it. Sorry Dianne but I am not buying it.

The dealers make the vast majority of their money on a rebate system directly from Toyota at years end/quarterly. Of course they are not going to tell, show or talk about it to their dealership employee's and managers. I know this for of fact, How? Because it is what I do for a living in another industry, and know for a fact it is the exact same in the auto industry. I have a family member in the auto industry (Big 3) and is a upper level management and is even a in charge of making sure the dealership owners in his area get there "rebate" check.

So please, when you hear dealers saying they only make $1000 per car, BS , run the numbers yourself, how could they stay in business. In fact how could they sell at a loss in other years giving this exact Prius II discounted pricing, usually much more than $1,000 off. It doesn't pass the logical smell test.

Also, for the record. Profit is not a dirty word. Making boat loads and charging over sticker and then trying to cry poor drives me crazy because it is anything but the truth.

15. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Are you wearing a tin foil hat? :rolleyes:

16. brewcrew9

brewcrew9 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No, not currently, is the foil hat a dealership thing?

However, I stand by what I say, and not one part what I said you can prove wrong......Hence the foil hat comment

17. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Actually, a foil hat is what the conspiracy theory types wear to keep the aliens and government from being able to read their brain waves and thoughts.

I felt that comment was enough to share with you (et al) what I thought about your post. That's all.

18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Inventory will improve;
    Fuel prices will fluctuate.

If I wanted to buy a car and could wait, I would wait.
    And to answer OP, discounts for multiple car purchases occur when inventory bloat is present, or the last day of a selling period and the sale pushes the dealership over a sales target that gains them more money from the manufacturer.

As for DianneWhitmire, her crystal ball is at least as good as anyone else's, but hell will freeze over before a salesperson advises waiting on a purchase.

19. brewcrew9

brewcrew9 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Oh, I see, you insult people who don't agree with you, (insert smilling face here)

Again, I stand by every word I said and not one part of what I said can be stated as incorrect and not 100% truthful. Also every thing i said was not looking to be insulting, just contrary to a very one sided point of view.......a point a view btw, that tells people that paying over sticker is not only okay, it is fair.....

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well it is tough to define okay and fair. i also am in an industry that gets rebates back from manufacturers. my customers have no clue what i pay for my products. but they shop the competition and make an informed purchase based on the value they feel they receive at the best price they can get. some want lowest price, some want trained customer service help and will pay a bit more. some want available inventory at all times and are willing to pay for that and some will pay a higher price because they like you. no one has ever told me my prices were not okay or unfair, they simply buy elsewhere. unfortunately, we have never had the kind of demand that would allow us to sell at msrp or higher. (insert sad face here)