1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Discussion on winter blend gas

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by eagle33199, Dec 1, 2006.

1. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Information on winter blend doesn't appear to be very accessible after running a few google searches. We all know that the winter blend reduces your fuel economy, but i'm wondering what the details are. anyone with information, thoughts, or ideas, please chime in.

First, does the winter fuel change from area to area? for example, is there a difference between two BP stations, if one is in Ohio and the other in Minnesota?

Second, does the winter blend differ between brands/stations? for example, does BP have a different blend than Chevron? (i'm guessing the answer to this one is yes - do we know how that difference effects the mileage?)

Any other information?

The reason i bring this up is fairly obvious - we all are seeing a decrease in our mileage with winter gas (and cold temperatures). While i haven't had my Prius long enough to really track trends (only 8 months), but one of my friends (who also used to live in ohio but now lives in MN like me) has had is Camry for a number of years, and tracks his mileage. while we can't take all the variables out of it (like conditions in his commute, temperature differences, etc), he's seeing an 8-10% difference in his gas mileage now compared to a year ago when he was in Ohio, which naturally brings up the curiosity.

2. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 1 2006, 01:17 PM) [snapback]356217[/snapback]</div>
    From a 2004 Slate Magazine article...

What Is Summer-Blend Gas?

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, Yes, and Yes.

Winter fuel differs from area to area, from brand to brand, and information is extremely difficult to find.

Since I have 6 winters and over 125,000 miles of data from Prius driving in Minnesota, there really isn't much more to know anyway. You'll observe major efficiency differences between summer & winter, but it averages out to a pleasing MPG of about 48.5

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  5. jimgraffam

jimgraffam New Member

I suspect that my station here in Massachusetts must already have the winter blend. Last tank well... tanked. I was thinking "What the..." until it dawned on me.

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    John, being from MN too, do you know what the winter blend is here? My friend just found on a cooper mini site that the winter blend is 15% ethanol across the state, not sure how accurate that is...

7. NicNicholson

NicNicholson New Member

I wonder how much driving with our headlights on affects mileage...

It may be that it is not just the winter blend that is doing it.

8. VABeachPrius

VABeachPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Does "winter blend" have more additive in it then gas with E10 that would cause more of a reduction in fuel economy than "summer blend" with E10?

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 1 2006, 01:35 PM) [snapback]356334[/snapback]</div>
    Nope, not true. The 2013 mandate for E20 just passed clearly documented that we only use a blend of 10 percent currently.

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jimgraffam @ Dec 1 2006, 11:07 AM) [snapback]356282[/snapback]</div>

well ya... probably for about 6 weeks or so. in a much milder climate, the Pacific Northwest, we went to winter blend on oct 13th... Friday the 13th to be exact. it was announced here. your region would go to winter blend at a different time, but based on your area, population density, and weather, you may have done it before us.

as far as headlight use, i did extensive tests on my 04 the first year i had it and results were inconclusive. the variation in mileage was within the normal deviation.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VABeachPrius @ Dec 6 2006, 05:34 AM) [snapback]358373[/snapback]</div>
    yes. winter gas would freeze if not for anti-freeze (not ethylene gycol) components that are added. they do take up space, but dont burn. this reduces the amount of energy in a gallon of gas by 3-8% depending on location

according to a "Modern Marvels" show the #1 cause of reduced gas mileage in winter is the increased density of cold air which can reduce efficiency by as much as 15% in some areas (probably Minnesota, North Dakota and Alaska)

11. jimgraffam

jimgraffam New Member

Slightly off topic...

But today I realized that with the colder weather, it was time to check air pressure in the tires. You know... ideal gas law and all (pV=nRT).

They were all down 3-4 psi from where I had them after last service so I jacked 'em back to 42/40. My morning ride seemed to have better mileage based on the bars.