1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dish with data service for we v'ers that travel, camp, and/or reside in our wagons?

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by S.Bell, Aug 25, 2017.

1. S.Bell

S.Bell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Any thoughts or experiences, especially with one's v wagon?

So far I think I'd be best with the 2nd cheapest dish part, but I still want to get away from using now crappy Verizon for my cell and tablet. And save money, too.

SM-N910V ?

2. S.Bell

S.Bell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    PS. I'm using 20 to 25 GB data per month plus Wi-Fi elsewhere.

SM-N910V ?

3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Satellite data use is expensive. You are better off using cellular data unless there is no coverage where you are traveling. I support some data use on some highway buses that have satellite television. We use cellular data for our service.

4. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As noted above, satellite data plans are expensive. They are also limited in how many GBs you can use. We have to use satellite, and are limited to 15GB (the maximum you can get) per month. Beyond that, your transfer speed is abysmal. I would say it is a last resort situation. If we could get rid of it, we would. By the way, we have HughesNet.

5. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Might inquire at a boat yard as the yachts use dishes (under domes) and satellites for comm and phone. But their antennas are huge and would probably not fit in the rear of a v. Still they would have insight into rates and feasibility. Or use a search engine for "tv in an rv".

6. S.Bell

S.Bell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks, everyone. I never thought of Hughsnet being satellite. Nor to about boathouse and net for them.

The 15 gb limit definitely helps knowing that.

I kinda figured satellite data would have gotten cheaper by now.

I looked up Dish for RVs and have it bookmarked for later.

SM-N910V ?

7. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I shut down my spectrum cable internet for 40 days so I could take advantage of their new customer pricing and for that 40 days I used an AT&T rural 4gGLTE Wi-Fi modem hotspot that also has an Ethernet output port.
    I picked up the modem off eBay for $75 (avoiding any contract) and with tax it ran me $67/ month for 250 GB. (yes you read that correctly 250gb for only $60 plus tax!)
    I was getting very adequate download speeds of 25mbs here in tropical western NY.

8. benkhanobi

benkhanobi Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Very nice to see this- I see another option in the link, called a Mobley for $20/mo that plus into an OBD-II port- for a Prius camper that would work, too.
    AT&T Unleashes Affordable Unlimited Data for “Connected Cars” – Chevy OnStar or ZTE Mobley – RV Mobile Internet Resource Center
    [​IMG]

9. S.Bell

S.Bell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've seriously started shopping around for a new carrier and for information on "RV data" for my Prius v, since I travel way too much, so it seems on occasion.

Reasons for me to get rid of Verizon:
    1. Cost - More expensive.
    2. Getting cut off data wise from Verizon for months - apparently due too much "rural data" usage while traveling within the Bay Area of California on their Unlimited Plan without any roaming charges or notifications.
    Article on Verizon Cutting off client's usage and even accounts due to "rural usage":
    https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Farstechnica.com%2Ftech&h=ATP7BiHIrKKA8eTlHZHR683G4Gzr4f0Z16kgV2wnxyaVjRLT0VCBRRmeiBE6lCveFKjpLlgJsTdx8Rn9CEDBEvRdUixOWhevny5M2qKjuTL6wFv2QxCpryAUK0NVvnlY9Yt7JAR2y7cFVK7YQ3YgPMSVGxADLjEEAe11VJv_bPizp62uBTI1-ZlTLu7tLQI4lRUvdW1WHRb9jD83Cgll4VgsYDxlzaTySV6-ifqLmhAgFoKDDPHWsL-369FMtyp9svQDYiXcarQ2VWloPdBQu8ivix-cA711aES50nwzCKj2we8

T-Mobile also has a similar OBD port Car Wi-fi option. It cuts off/slows down the data after reaching 10GB in a month's time frame. I don't know about speed of it or how many can connect to it at once.

Thanks, I'll check out the AT&T one, too.

10. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    AT&T seems to be on perpetual back order for Mobley. If you're interested, look at T-Mobile's Sync Up Drive, which is a lot more capable. Verizon is said to have a similar device called Hum, but I've not found anything out about it m

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.