1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

disintegrating electrical tape under hood undercarriage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by fortheanimals, Aug 14, 2011.

1. fortheanimals

fortheanimals Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    apologies, but i couldn't find this topic covered with all my searching.

some of the electrical tape that wraps wire bunches and some tubings under the hood has been (from what i can tell) chewed away by rodents. is it common practice to just remove the old and rewrap with new elec. tape? i assume it's easy enough to do by self? anything to look out for while rewrapping?

i recently haphazardly took a dripping sponge to wash down years of dirt around all the visible parts under the hood. any harm if some water got through the chewed up elec. tape?

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It is best to remove all damaged tape and check for exposed conductors through the chewed insulation. I have this problem on the RAV, where mice are constantly chewing on the A/F sensor insulation as well as subsequent wrapping with electrical tape -- and I get ABS/VSC code C1201 when they succeed in causing a short, for whatever reason.

If there was harm in getting water inside there, you would have found out immediately. All wiring and connectors inside the engine compartment are supposed to be water tight, at least splash proof anyway.

3. Tyrod

Tyrod New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The best solution is to go to your local cattle feed store and get some rat poison. Put the rat poison under the car. Keep pets away from the poison unless you don't want them either. Put a half filled bucket of water near the car. Come back the next day and you'll find drowned rats/mice in the bucket. Sorry if this offends your animal sensibilities but rats/mice can wreak havoc on a car.

Then do your repairs with the confidence that it'll probably be days if not weeks before more rats move it.

4. GBC_Texas_Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Toyota probably used electrical tape because it was the cheapest solution. I would use tie wraps.

I had a rat chew on ignition wires on one of my pre-Prius cars before I got a house with a garage so I know how you feel. I like Tyrod's post. If they go in a bucket, you don't have to worry about the environmental impact of the rodent going in the belly of an owl for instance. Didn't think of that one. The some what good part of my story is that the ignition wire insulator material killed the rat.