1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Disk brake problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by williaeh22, Apr 30, 2004.

1. williaeh22

williaeh22 Junior Member

Had one major incident in Smithdale, MS. We took a trip out in the country-side to look at the wife's land. After traveling down a gravel road at slow speeds, stopping and turning around - the loudest, metal to metal sound erupted from the passenger side of the Prius. Getting out of the car I checked for debris under the car and anything unusual under the hood. All were clear and normal. The instrument panel indicated no error symbols. My original thought was that the right brake disk had locked, however, that should have caused a pull to the right - steered fine. I thought maybe we could make it back to McComb, MS, but, after about a tenth of a mile, the noise was just too unnerving. Pulled into a cutout and called Toyota road service.

A pleasant female voice answered with "how may we help you"! After explaining the problem she decided to call a tow service to take us to the nearest Toyota dealer, which was in Brookhaven, MS. (30 miles away) She explained that Toyota only paid the first $100 of the tow charge, after that we were responsible for the rest. Then she wanted us to rate her on her service. (good, excellent, etc.)
    About fifteen minutes later the tow service left a message on the cell phone, that they would not proceed until we agreed to pay the additional tow fee. (reason for the message on the cell phone, we were in a low reception area and could only get a good cell in a certain area) Called the tow service and told them we would accept the additional fee. ($60)

Tow truck (flat bed) arrived in about an hour, had to instruct the operator how to start and stop the Prius! Finally he had me operate the Prius so as to place the transmission in Neutral for the winching onto the flat bed.
    Meanwhile some relatives came to our aid and loaned us a vehicle until the problem was resolved.

Received a call in about an hour and half from the dealer, informing us that the problem was a small rock that was lodged between the dust shield and the rotor on the passenger side wheel. The wheel had to be removed in order to get access to the rotor, but, removing the rock was not that much trouble. If that ever happens again, I think I would be able to remove it myself with a long screw driver or stick. Needless to say I have added these items to my tool bag.
    Bottom line, the problem was not caused by any warranty related items and could have happened to any vehicle with disk brakes.

Ed Williamson
    Satellite Beach, FL
    9164 miles

2. autoxic

autoxic Commuter

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It is likely you could have fixed the problem by backing up quickly for 10 feet or so. Sometime last year, I had the same loud brake noise (in a Celica) and backed up to solve the problem.

You were right to stop driving after hearing what sounded like a critical problem. Better safe than sorry. But next time you will know what to do. Keep that screwdriver handy just in case.