1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Display Gone Bad

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mark Rosacker, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Mark Rosacker

Mark Rosacker New Member

My 2004 Prius has just over 40,000Mi, with no extended warranty. The MFD started acting up about two weeks ago, and it is now down at a dealership for diagnosis. All the classic symptoms you read about on PriusChat. Just got a call from the service department and...Surprise, surprise, I need a new MFD!

$4200.00 replacement NOT going to happen! Toyota Exchange Program(about $500.00), well maybe. Dealership and/or Toyota taking responsibility for manufactuing a series of defective parts, and replacing them as needed...MUCH PREFERRED.

Does anyone out there have any information about the how may current Prius owners have been stung by this problem? Is it something that is well known, and is Toyota making any moves to corrrect the problems? Does anyone know who or where best to complain to at corporate headquarters? Does anyone know where to begin?

From what I've read on-line, it seems as though this may be a common problem with the newer Prius models. In the past, I've driven Toyotas for almost 40 years and up to 250,000 hard miles without any problems. Anyone else out there having any luck dealing with this issue? <_<

Thanks!

Mark

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I am very sorry it happened to you. :angry:

The MFD going bad seems to occur more on the '04 models than any other. I was using that as an argument on one of the Yahoo lists as a reason to get extended warranty (ie all it takes is one big repair to pay for itself). Someone said that you can get a remanufactured one for a mere $400 and all it takes is 10 minutes to install it yourself. I wish I had pressed to find out exactly where one would get such a remanufactured MFD. :(