1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Display on NAV unit died.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by JStrenk, Oct 30, 2017.

1. JStrenk

JStrenk Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The display on my 2011 level 3 NAV unit died yesterday. Touch screen and all other functions work fine. The was a faint wiff of magic smoke escaping right after it died.

Is there a place were I can send the unit to get the display replaced? I see there are many places for the gen 2 displays to get fixed.

Could it be something simple?
    Can I operate the car with the head unit removed?

Read through some other posts on replacing the touchscreen and digitizer. Looks possible but how can I determine if it's the LCD display or digitizer board?? Touch screen works.

#1 JStrenk, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  2. kc410

kc410 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When some of the buttons around the screen of my JBL unit quit working I sent it off for repair.
    It was expensive but the unit has worked flawlessly ever since.
    I just looked at my notes - it was Oct 2016 when I had my unit repaired.

Stereo CD DVD Navigation Plasma LCD TV, DJ Equipment Repair

I pulled my HU & the Prius never complained about it missing (that I remember).
    It was out for about a month & when reinstalled everything worked perfectly.

If you find the exact model of your HU & search online for a junk yard pull it may be fairly reasonable?
    Depends on how common your exact model is.
    Good luck!

3. JStrenk

JStrenk Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the link. For the price it looks like it's a toss up between a used one off eBay or getting mine fixed.. I know the rest of mine works so I might just send mine in.

4. kc410

kc410 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Those were my thoughts also. I have no regrets looking back.
    Shipping is a pain - I took it to a UPS store & it ended up around $140 to double box & ship from FL to CA. I did have it insured for 1K though.
    Seems the way that most ppl ship these units is to double box them any way you can. Wrap the unit in some big bubble wrap & make a box to fit it, then drop that in another bigger box with packing peanuts between them. Chances are it will make it ok.
    These are just my passing thoughts, use your own best judgement :)

5. JStrenk

JStrenk Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the tip.. I'll see what i can do at work.

I'm going to give a call first.
    When the sun shone on the screen, I could see the map displayed underneath. So it's just whatever illuminates the screen or the driver for the lights.

6. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have read that, to minimize the possibility of UPS damage, it is best to package your shipment in a cheap plastic cooler.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. WolfpackBill

WolfpackBill Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  8. JStrenk

JStrenk Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Following the instructions here: Replaced 2011 JBL Nav Touchscreen ... Success !! | PriusChat

I pulled my radio out and removed the display unit. (Note: You do not have to remove the radio I found out later.)
    Ordered this board: Free shipping Logic PC Board Display pcb 135941 03100910 for Toyota Car DVD display LQ080T LQ080T5GA01 LQ080T5GC01-in Car Radios from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group after verifying partnumbers.

It was close. There seems to be an extra unused connector on the original board.

[​IMG]

So after a couple of weeks I got a huge box full of bubble wrap and in the middle was the board. Very very well protected.
    It was shipped in a couple of days of getting my order. But took several weeks to get here.

Most of the connectors was just releasing the lock on the plug and pull out the wire ribbon.

[​IMG]

There were a couple of notches on the bottom of the board that didn't align properly to allow replacing the screws.
    [​IMG]

At this point I figured there was nothing left to loose so I cut away the notch.
    [​IMG]

I had the power off but before I even got the all the plugs in, I felt it powering up. So with the warning message, I figure I better stop.
    [​IMG]

But to even see the display, I was a happy camper...

Only thing I notice is one side does not seem to be illuminated. So I wonder if the display light went bad and took out the original board.
    [​IMG]

Will be playing with it some more and rechecking my connections to make sure everything is plugged in correctly.
    But for only $55.00, I'm happy so far.

Do you think the illumination is part of the display board? i didn't dig too deep.

bisco likes this.