1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Display screen not working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Gobessy, Mar 7, 2024.

1. Gobessy

Gobessy New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Has anyone had trouble with the display screen not working. (2009) 249000 miles. Sometimes it will come back on and other times the CD player stops working and the radio comes on????

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Is this a car with navigation? Usually when the MFD starts going intermittent it's starting to go bad if you pull it off the dash and take a look at the back of it sometimes you can see where heat and possibly moisture damage has gotten to it If you disassemble it somewhat and pull the circuit board and all out of it you can see I have pictures of some that look pretty funky that came straight out of car interiors and I dismantled just to look at so I guess sitting up there on the dash the heat and whatever else goes on in the car kind of can get to it usually I notice when they're failing the screens are also starting to get ready to peel or they're very worn. I just had to round up a seven button GPS display to ship to a guy in Greece.

3. shane jodan

shane jodan New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    Three
    The issue with the display screen not working in a 2009 vehicle with 249,000 miles could stem from several sources. Firstly, it's essential to check the connections between the display unit and car's main system. Loose connections or corrosion can lead to intermittent display problems. Secondly, with the CD player not working and the radio coming on, it suggests a potential issue with the head unit itself. This could be due to age-related wear, internal faults, or electrical issues.

A thorough diagnostic by an automotive technician is advised to pin point the exact cause and potential solutions, which might range from repairing connections to replacing the head unit if necessary.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    On eBay you'll be able to find plenty of head units working from dismantlers all types six disc changers you name it nav system MFDs too no problem they are pricey so you want to make sure yours is bad junk yards like LKQ is another good place because these cars are old the parts don't bring lots of money and they just sit I scoop these things up wherever I see them because they're just going to sit there and go to crap by rain and whatnot coming in the car because the door is missing or whatever the case may be usually a lot of the stuff places will just give to me they're like happy for me to take it