1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Display screen

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by HTWB, Dec 15, 2004.

1. HTWB

HTWB New Member

Query from new owner. What is the significance of the different colours shown on the battery on the display screen? I can't find it in the handbook.

2. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Top o' the evenin' HTWB--!

Briefly, the number of battery "bars" indicate the degree of charge in the Traction (main) battery. The color of the bars indicates overall battery condition: PINK = low on SOC (State of charge); BLUE = normal SOC; and GREEN = tending to overcharge. You would be unlikely to see a full set of bars since your Prius is designed to maintain the most efficient SOC and would engage the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) without fuel injection to reduce the SOC to an efficient level. An overcharge condition could result from a long downhill run but your Prius' computers should prevent and overcharge otherwise.

Hope this helps you to understand your remarkable Prius.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Here is an image from John1701a's web site
    [img=right:7750a16f43]http://www.geocities.com/tonypschaefer/Priapus/Battery-Pack_Charge-Levels.gif[/IMG]
    Orange represents the North, Green the South, and White is peace. Oh wait a minute, you asked about the battery colors.

Red means that you are running a bit low on storred energy
    Blue is normal and most common
    Green means that you have a very charged battery

There are "arguments" back and forth as to whether it is good to have a fully charged battery or not. I very rarely see green while others claim to see green quite often.

You also need to understand that the battery image provides only a small section of the overall State-of-Charge (SOC) for the battery. Even if you see no bars, you probably have around 40% SOC and when you see all green, you are probably around 80% SOC. The really cool part is that the higher the SOC the more apt you are to stealth for long distances and at greater speeds.

I seriously doubt, however, that green indicates anything Irish. Sorry.

[Editted: Sorry for those who witnessed the size of the picture before I rescaled it]