1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Display won't go to night mode

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dalena, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Dalena

Dalena New Member

Has anyone had problems with their display not going to night mode? It makes using the Nav system at night impossible because it is too bright. It used to work, but stopped recently. Just looking for ideas before discussing it with the service center.

Thank you.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You need to adjust the dimmer control to the left of the steering wheel...it's probably just turned up all the way.

3. Dalena

Dalena New Member

I was using the dimmer to go to night mode for almost a year. Within the last month it stopped working. As I said, it worked before, but now it goes just barely grayer, then stops before going dark.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hmmm, do not know, does the dimmer still work...in other words, if you go into night mode can you adjust the brightness at all??

I guess it's might simply be that your dimmer switch has gone bad as it sounds like there is some change in the brightness of the display when you turn your lights on.

5. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have ever look'n to screen set up?

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Speedracer\";p=\"50708)</div>
    Yeah, I agree with Speed. There's a setting in there somewhere (I'm away from Priapus right now) in the four-screen setup menu in which you can tell the MFD to never go into night mode. Or maybe it's somewhere else. I have nothing on front of me to confirm how to do this, but I've seen it and I know it's an option. Your MFD isn't broken.

Anyone?

7. Dalena

Dalena New Member

The dimmer switch dims everything else, and the display goes slightly darker. Before the map would go to an almost black background, now it goes only slightly grey. I checked all of the settings, and they are the same as they were before. The setting for night mode lets you change colors, but not turn it off or on completely.

Well, I'm thinking that it will have to go in for service after all. It's always a little more scary to bring it in when I don't have any additional information to bring too.

Thanks for the ideas.

8. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, &amp; Drapanos, Crete, G
    Have you double checked your not switched to day mode?

Switch your lights on, press the display button (top left) there should be a day mode button. Make sure its off.

Otherwise, it could be that a wire has worked loose and the display doesnt know the lights are on, and thus stays in day mode. In that case its goto a workshop.

9. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There is a seperate contrast and brightness controls on/for the MFD.

I don't have the car with me to try it myself. While in day mode try adjusting brightness and contrast. Then try it while in night mode. You may just have your night settings way to bright.

From the Prius manual:

Push the “DISPLAY†button to display
    the “Display†screen.
    Contrast and brightness adjustment
    CONTRAST “+â€:
    Strengthens the contrast of the screen.
    CONTRAST “–â€:
    Weakens the contrast of the screen.
    BRIGHTNESS “+â€: Brightens the screen.
    BRIGHTNESS “–â€: Darkens the screen.

10. bparrish

bparrish Junior Member

Victor's exactly right here. After noticing that the car wasn't switching to night mode, the next day, when I had some time to fiddle with things, I was trying to find the 'day mode' button to turn it off, and was having trouble... I went through every possible menu several times... including some unlikely ones. Finally :idea: , I tried flipping on the lights (to see if I was still stuck in day mode), and there it was! (you have to press 'display' also). But the day mode button only shows up when the lights are turned on. [edited - AND the brightness control must NOT be in the highest (dentent) position. If the brightness control is in the brightest position, the day mode button goes off as well. Additionally when that control is in the highest position, the nav display seems to go to day mode anyway. So to turn off 'day mode' (if it's on) you have to turn the lights on and make sure the control is not maxed out, then it'll toggle between night and day mode. Hope this helps.]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(victor\";p=\"51360)</div>

11. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy\";p=\"51390)</div>
    Yep, I confirmed it. There are day and night settings to be had. The "DISPLAY" button is the one on the side of the screen, not "screen settings." Look for the CONTRAST and BRIGHTNESS controls on the bottom of MFD after pressing "DISPLAY."

12. Swampthing

Swampthing Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Something you will find interesting is that there are really two night modes for the map. The first version looks like a an almost negative image of the map, but the second one is simply a more dimmed view of the regular map screen. The first one is the default unless you have the DAY mode button pressed. When your lights are turned on in DAY MODE, the map simply dims a little when you adjust the brightness of your dashboard lights. Personally I prefer this much more than the negative display...

13. Dalena

Dalena New Member

Yea!!! You guys are brilliant! I don't know how I did it, but I had it set in that night mode where things did not go completely dark. I had been in the settings screen, tried the contrast and brightness, but never hit the button that said 'day mode' because I thought it was to put the screen back into day mode if you were already in night mode.

I'm so thrilled it's fixed!

Thank you!

14. harryarcos

harryarcos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2004 Prius does not have a dimmer control on the side of the steering wheel, but seems to be stuck on 'Screen off'. I was trying to see the battery voltage and pressed a button in error some weeks ago and I cannot get it back to how it used to be. There are 3 boxes at the top of the screen 'Day mode' (pressing that just sends the brightness and contrast sliders to different positions) 'Screen off' and 'OK'.

I think what I need is 'Screen on', but pressing 'screen off' does not change it, just makes the display go black. Any help appreciated.

By the way, the method of pressing the top LH side of the screen after pressing 'Display' does nothing.

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What happens if you just press AUDIO or CLIMATE or MAP or any of the buttons that turn the screen on?

16. harryarcos

harryarcos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I get the correct screen which is easy to view - do not have 'Map'.

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So it's not stuck on screen-off now?

18. harryarcos

harryarcos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The screen is black. If I press say, 'Climate' the normal screen is shown. It then stays on that screen and does not revert to the Energy monitor as it used to. If I press 'Display' it goes back to black. As I said, it seems to be stuck on 'Screen off'. It might go back to a default position if I disconnect the battery for a while, but it would be nice to find an answer here, before doing that.

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, what do you get with the INFO button?