1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Disposing of the Prius Battery

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by CitizenjaQ, Feb 25, 2005.

1. CitizenjaQ

CitizenjaQ New Member

I've heard the criticisms too many times. "You're wasting your money because hybrids have a huge honkin' battery that will pollute more than your saved gas will ever make up for. You're a poser!" I know that the battery is not an environmental liabilty, but finding documentation of that fact is nearly impossible to come by.

I actually heard a commentator on NPR say once, "If you want to be an environmentalist, ride a bike. If you want to look like an environmentalist, get a hybrid."

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Does anyone know of a Web page, white paper, news release, article, anything that I can use to prove to the knuckleheads in my life that Prius really is a lesser net ecological sin than other cars?

2. DanH

DanH New Member

3. CitizenjaQ

CitizenjaQ New Member

Exactly what I was looking for. How did I not find these before? Thank you!

It's worth it just for the last question in Toyota's article:

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Not only that but the Car is 98% recyclable and beyond that it is designed to be easily disassembled, particularly the most polluting materials are easily separated from the rest of the car. This is a total green program. We can hold up our heads in any group.