1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Distance to empty not resetting when refueling

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by lucaspiller, Mar 8, 2024.

1. lucaspiller

lucaspiller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The distance to empty meter is not always resetting when I refuel. It's not that it takes a long time to reset, it just doesn't reset. Yesterday it showed 30km left, I went to refuel and added 10 litres (another 90km) then drove home (25km), and today it's showing 3 bars and 0km.

I've noticed this a bunch of times over the past six months. It mainly seems to happen when I don't fill the tank to full, but I've seen it once when I fully filled up the tank as well. The bars indicator seems to be accurate, so it doesn't seem to be an issue with the physical meter in the tank.

Any ideas how to fix it?

2. lucaspiller

lucaspiller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    An update: Still got the same issue, but nothing else has broken so I'm just ignoring it. I just try to fill up to fall as that usually resets it.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When adding just a small amount of fuel, the Distance To Empty display does not reset. My U.S.-market Owner's Manual did not say just how much a "small amount" is. From personal experience, I did find that one gallon (4 liters) did not reset it, but never tried any other increment between 4 and 10 liters. It was rare for me to not go all the way to full.

I no longer have a Prius, so cannot re-test or re-check anything.

Did you have the car turned off for the entire refueling process? Another household vehicle won't reset properly if I have the car turned on (ignition or accessory) during part of the refueling process (e.g. to read odometer and trip meters for fuel log book while waiting).