1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Distance travelled on electric only?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by senectus, Feb 28, 2005.

1. senectus

senectus New Member

I'm sure I saw a thread here about how far you can go on electric only.. But I can't seem to find it again..
    Can someone let me know please?
    Thanks..

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not far, depends on battery SOC, temperture, how level the terrain is, how fast you go, how fast you accelerate, whether you're using an EV button (in GB I assume you would), etc.

In general I'd say from a near full SOC to EV cancel you could maybe go 1 mile if you stay under 20mph in warm weather. In real world use I occ. go 1/4 mile and rarely 1/2 mile.

3. senectus

senectus New Member

(btw thats an AUstralian flag ;-) )

Yeah they're the numbers I thought I'd see.. Another thing I need to educate the sales guy on.. He said 300km... I laughed and said I don't think so...

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah geez!! I'm a dumbass :oops: :silly:

5. ml194152

ml194152 Member

I have a 1 mile stretch of flat road in my subdivision with no stop signs or lights, and I can usually go that whole stretch at the speed limit of 35 mph on pure electric power only. I don't have the EV button (yet).

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm, I bet that:
    1)You are not starting from a dead stop
    2)Your ICE is running, you're just not seeing anything on the MFD...IOW, it's spinning much of the time and not completely off.

I, too, have several runs of up to a mile or more that I can run with no apparent ICE activity, but this is due mostly to momentum that got me up to speed to start with (thanks to the ICE). So, if that counts as 'pure electric' then I guess you're right. But I just don't think you're going to get the car up to 35mph on flat road, from a dead stop and maintain it for 1 mile without either some loss of speed by the end or the ICE kicking in under any but the most ideal of conditions.

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In the summer during ideal conditions (including a green lights), I can go as far as 3 miles at 35 MPH in stealth.

But most of the time, it's just a 1/2 mile or so.

8. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's phenomenal John, your speaking of the Classic I presume, not the HSD (yet) Your terrain must be perfect for that sort of run.

9. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I've managed 1.5 miles in EV mode (ie with the button). That was with a rolling start, but on the other hand it wasn't totally uniform speed. I'd previously been cruising on high-speed roads, so the battery was well charged.

The distance you'll manage depends a lot on how much charge you start with. OK, that's fairly obvious, but what's not obvious is that bar 6 holds as much energy as bars 3-5 put together (even before hysteresis effects).

EV mode deactivates when bar 3 is depleted, so if you start with 6 bars on screen, your range can vary by more than a factor of two depending on whether you're actually at the top or bottom of bar 6.

I assume the classic's EV range is higher than the current Prius - it's got 36% more battery capacity.

10. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did your sales man come from year 2020? :)

Please be aware the excess use of EV mode degrades your overall mileage.

Regards,
    Ken@Japan

11. senectus

senectus New Member

heh I noticed that..
    I ran the battery a little lower than its been since I bought it (um... yesterday), and the next time I started it and left it in on mode it cranked up the ICE and ran it at 99ltrs per 100 km's until it was happy with the power (not long but still...)

12. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    i haven't really measured how far i go in stealth mode but i agree that it depends on SOC and terrain.

13. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No, the HSD clearly has better stealth than the Classic.

I can get further along the same old road I've been driving forever in the HSD. The pedal is more forgiving, especially when you are nearing the point where the battery-pack is suggesting a recharge.

But realistically, I don't give a rip if the engine starts back up for a few seconds. The extra help is useful and the resulting electricity is beneficial later on anyway.

14. ammiels

ammiels New Member

FWIW, Wonderful Wayne stated that one could travel between 1/4 and 1/3 of a mile for every green car produced on the histogram.

15. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco\";p=\"68105)</div>
    That's OK Evan, the flag is not all that big and it is pretty easy to miss the Location: Perth, Western Australia as well ;-)

16. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't know if the question was "how far can I go without the engine ever turning on, ie. Can I get the kids to school in the morning" or "how far can I go, if for example, I ran out of gas".

From a cold overnight start? Don't bother unless it is downhill and you start with at least full blue. :)

When I got my EV mod with the engine warm and the air temp maybe 35F, I got 1.2 miles of flat or slight up hill from a stop sign (slight downhill start) from full blue before I hit pink. Just to see. I usually cancel at 4 blue since after that 1.2 miles I hit a short but somewhat steep hill and will be using both ICE and battery to get up it. Pretty stupid to intentionally do that on pink.

If I can engage EV, I can do the last .7 miles (on my commute home from work) from a stop sign to my house, which is MOSTLY somewhat downhill posted at 30 MPH or less starting and ending with the same number of bars. I bet I wouldn't even make the first quarter mile in the morning without hitting pink from 5 or 6 blue and I'm not going to try it! :)

My favorite place to force EV is at the end of trips where the last mile or so of the destination is flat or down hill (I have several of these) since it doesn't pull the battery down too much and the uphill return will require ICE anyway. I also use it in parking lots.