1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Distorted dash display

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JimboK, May 10, 2006.

1. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey, folks. During one of our warmer days (mid 80s) last week my 2005 Prius was parked in the employee lot, as usual, in the sun. I used a sunshade -- a generic, accordion-fold model sold in auto parts stores. When I got in the car after work, there was a noticeable distortion in the dash display, where the speedometer is. Though the outer surface (what I could touch) was smooth, it looked like a bubble had formed somewhere inside, as though something had gotten warped. When the sunshade was in place, the bottom rested on the dash in front of the display, so the display itself and the section of dash above it were between the sunshade and the windshield. My thought is that the heat buildup between the sunshade and the windshield might have caused something to warp.

I've tried to attach two pictures so you can see it. (Rookie poster here... hope I did it right.) The undistorted pic was taken level with the display. You should be able to see the distortion in the other one, taken at an angle that approximates my normal viewing angle. (Pardon what looks like dust on the display... it's pollen season here!)

I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow. Meanwhile, anyone ever heard of this happening... with or (worse) without a sunshade?

Thanks in advance,
    Jim

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That's too bad. :( I think you may be correct. I use a sunshield similar to the one sold by PriusChat, but from our local Prius Club. It fits the front window really well.

Did you have any of the windows cracked open?

3. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ May 10 2006, 05:30 PM) [snapback]253087[/snapback]</div>

I looked at the Prius-specific sunshade first, but decided to go the cheap route (probable first mistake). The windows were closed (probable second mistake).

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ May 10 2006, 03:44 PM) [snapback]253140[/snapback]</div>
    I used to live in El Centro and Palm Springs and I got into the habit of opening one up a bit if I could. I also used to have a solar powered device that had a fan that fit in the crack and would pull hot air out.

I hope it can be resolved quickly and without much hassle.

5. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    An update: The dealer will be replacing what they think is the damaged/defective part, which they have to order. Because it's inside the display, they can't say for sure without getting inside of it, which requires taking the dash apart. They understandably don't want to do that until they have the part.

I talked to the technician, first asking if he had ever seen it before. He said no. I asked what could have caused it. He speculated a defective part. I then told him about my theory of the sunshade as a contributor. Though he agreed that was possible, he again said he'd never seen it before, even with cars where sunshades were used.

It will be about 3 weeks before it's fixed, not because of the part delivery time, but because that's how long it will be before they can have a loaner car available (I need to leave it all day). I'll provide an update after that. Meanwhile, thanks aaf709 for your responses.

JK

6. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

I would lean towards the "bad luck, you got a defective part" theory. Not everyone uses sunshades and Toyota certainly wouldn't intentionally design something that would require a warranty repair everytime someone left their car out in the sun without the best quality sunshade.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Could be heat. Especially if it's between the sunshade and the windshield. I'm not sure why you didn't place the sunshade right to the bottom where the dash meets the windshield. Is it not tall enough? I noticed that our black dashboard is really susceptible to heat. There are several reports of the dash warping on the passenger side near the dash and the upper glovebox area. This is the first report of the instrument panel.

8. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tmorrowus @ May 14 2006, 02:32 PM) [snapback]255266[/snapback]</div>
    I'd like to agree. I certainly believe Toyota's commitment to quality suggests something other than a design flaw. But it's quite a coincidence that the problem showed up when and how it did.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 14 2006, 04:21 PM) [snapback]255332[/snapback]</div>
    Impatience, I guess. I think it's tall enough. I had to buy a large model (probably sized to fit a large pickup or SUV) to fit the long Prius windshield, and therefore it was wider than needed. That made it it somewhat clumsy to use, with the extra folds hanging down at both ends. I was content just to get it to cover most of the windshield.

I doubt I'll take another chance with it. Though I can't prove a cause-and-effect relationship, I can't rule it out either. I'll probably toss it in the trash and buy a custom-fit model. Lesson learned.

Thanks for the comments.

JK

9. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The repair was completed this past week under warranty. The part they thought was the culprit, and that they ordered the replacement for, was indeed the culprit. They replaced it and my dash display is clear again.

Thanks again to all here who responded.

Jim

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the update!

11. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    which part was it?

12. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 11 2006, 10:20 AM) [snapback]269561[/snapback]</div>
    Ditto.

13. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Galaxee and darelldd: Sorry for the delay in responding; I missed your posts earlier.

I don't know exactly which part it was, other than what they originally thought was bad. I didn't care too much, as long as the problem was fixed.

I will check the paperwork to see if it has an understandable description and get back with you. If all it has is a cryptic description or part number, would you like that? Galaxee, I know your hubby is a Toyota (Prius?) tech, so I'd guess either would help you.

It may be a day or two. It's filed away, I'm working late the next couple of evenings, and I doubt I'll take time to dig it out when I get home. I know you'll understand! :)

Jim

14. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

You know, my dash has the same warping effect because i park in the sun all day for work. I dont use a sunshade. Although, my degree of warp is far less.

15. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Be careful not to arrange the Sunshade that way again. In the situation described the shade was trapping and concentrating heat on that portion of the dash and the display mirror. A Sunshade should be tight against the glass everywhere, with no components between them except air.

16. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Rest assured, that sunshade won't be arranged that way again... or in any way in my car. Last week I ordered the Canvas Works sunshade via PriusChat. Looking forward to it arriving any time! And looking forward to that tight fit.

Jim

17. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

This sounds like a heat issue rather than a defective part. I would be interested in hearing more from our senior PC posters, particularly those in the Southwest region, if this has been an issue for other Prians (i.e., Prius owners).

My thought is that there was enough of a gap between the bottom of the window and the window shade to permit reflection from the window shade and window to concentrate radiative energy onto the top of the dash. Air is a fairly good insulator, therefore, the local temperature of the dash could have increased significantly. Convective heat transfer would have been reduced from normal (no window shade) conditions by the presence of the window shade, thereby permitting high surface temperatures in the local area. Plastic is a poor good conductor, which would have further limited transfer of heat from the local area to the rest of the dash.

Lesson Learned: be careful in placing the window shade.

18. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    jimboK, if you still have time to cancel that order I'd suggest going to a Toyota dealer and see whether they have a custom Sunshade for Prius made by IntroTech. It costs less and I think it's better made than the one from Canvasworks. I bought Canvasworks first and was annoyed enough by it to replace it.

19. Jack Straw

Jack Straw New Member

20. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Richard and Jack: thanks for the suggestions.

Richard, I am going to wait and see how the Canvas Works shade works for me. Neither local dealer I've been to in my town has anything but the same basic accordion-fold style like auto parts stores sell, at least not on display. I didn't think to ask if they had anything else, but you'd think if they did and wanted to sell them, they would be on display.

Jack, I'll keep your suggestion in mind, and thanks for the link. I struggled enough with spending $30 for a sunshade; I'm not sure I could bring myself to spend $50. I'm a bit of a tightwad! :)

Thanks again.

Jim