1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Distorted (over amplified??) sound with JBL

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by mbarkh, Oct 23, 2011.

1. mbarkh

mbarkh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank You to friends who made illustrations for instaling GPS and cameras.

After long delay I got unit from China on this Friday, the units looks same as ottonavis.

What I like -
    Screen quality very good
    Fast unit
    Bluetooth buttons works on steering wheel
    Voice command button for mute (not bad)

Now problems

After installing unit to dash

1.I start unit, select E. amplifier mode and was upset
    Sound quality was bad, it’s like distorted on high frequencies (over amplified)

After I note that cannot access sd card, so when I pressed NAVI button it give me info file not found, interesting when I connect usb flash drives to usb cables drom unit I listen USB connection SOUND but cannot access USB Flash drive.
    I went home and check sd card from headunit and usb flash drive
    Was surprised micro sd card empty no GPS software at all.
    USB Flash drive was formatted on NTFS, I formatted to FAT32 again cannot access, after formating to FAT can access files from USB FLASH DRIVE

Micro SD card from head unit was formatted to FAT32, copied some mp3 files and the result - when I plug sd card to unit – nothing.

Now my question

1. Is possible to adjust sound level on JBL input or on UNIT using some service menu if its available
    I think that sound to JBL Amp higher than it should be (maybe I’m wrong)

2. What type of file system this units reads
    3. Can I download and install US gps software (Chinese, original etc.)

4. Is it possible to fix sd card problem upgrading firmware (BTW firmware EN-PRIMA-ARM-SLC-V1.40)

2. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You need to contact the place you purchased your unit, unless the unit came with some kind of factory warranty. What did you pay? Buying from a US distributor/dealer might have gotten you faster delivery, US support and US warranty.

Is the distortion with just the radio or also with the IPod and CD? An Ottonavi poster is having a similar issue but only with the radio. Ipod and CD is OK.

Is the micro SD slot intended for music? I thought that slot was only for nav software and maps.

You need to get your map software and navigation software from the place you purchased the unit. Ask them for a link. Otherwise you'll have to hunt for pirated software/maps.

You might consider just returning the unit. File a paypal dispute.

3. mschul

mschul Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I hate to be a downer, but I had an Ottonavi with the same issue dealing with the JBL. It sounds as if the line in to the amp is way too hot, and the sound gets very distorted. After talking with ottonavi and fishing for any software/hardware fix I gave up and sent the unit back. If it's the same or similar to Ottonavi, I don't think they quite have the bugs worked out yet to deal with the JBL amp.

Sorry to burst your bubble...

4. glennhl

glennhl Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm the person with the distorted sound from AM/FM on my Ottonavi. I'm waiting for a new replacement unit, they are out of stock right now. However, I can get excellent sound from my AM/FM if I select Internal Amp. Then when I go to IPOD/CD, I switch back to External Amp. I hardly ever listen to AM/FM, so this is fine with me. Now you guys have me scared not to get a replacement unit in case it sounds like crap all the time. Maybe they'll send me the replacement unit (I'll pay for it), then get a refund for the one I send back. The unit is so nice I would live with the way it is right now if I have to. But Ottonavi claims that the Prius units work great, we'll see.

5. mbarkh

mbarkh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi thank You for reply.

Last month when I tried to order I saw this unit only on ebay – one store was in California (I think it was ottonavi) another “Fedom” China. But it disappear from Californian store when I was ready to buy and I ordered from China.
    Why I decide to buy this unit because a lot of info on European and Russian car electronics forums and most of owners are happy with “Roadrovers”….
    Interesting that here in US (I see this on this forum) and Fedoms customer service very responsive and honest.

Today I contacted to seller, they promise send me some new firmware upgrades. And got some new info from manufacturer about JBL.

I’ll try make experiments and let you know.
    Interesting that from iphone via bluetooth much better probably because sound from iphone lower.

Interesting what quality with other jbl kit like metra or other kits from Best Buy,
    On our units JBL kit just cable with 2 different connector

And kits from Canadian store or Best Buy has some box (interesting what inside this box?)

(It seems my device and ottonavi’s - Roadrover and model D2271 I got this info under bluetooth settings on iphone)

6. mbarkh

mbarkh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just now I checked something, i think its good news about sound.
    Using update.exe file I found this file on other forums it was possible see windows ce desktop, on control panel I change sound level and now I have excellent quality sound, next question how to save this, because as soon I restart system sound on wince control panel again maximum.

7. glennhl

glennhl Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Hopefully we can fix our problem with a firmware or software update. Please keep us posted.

8. mbarkh

mbarkh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    After Firmware and MCU update the same problem.

9. mbarkh

mbarkh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Today I did install Schosche Toyota Interface (from Bestbuy) and no more distortion.
    Schosche Toyota Interface has bad review on Internet and not adjustable but it was on local store. Next week I'll order Metra interface (I think on Metra you can adjust gain manually) Anyway some success for JBL owners. (I check only sound on USB flash drives, navigation, dvd, didnt check CD)
    Another problem on my unit - after firmware and MCU upgrade FM and AM doesn't work (I think after MCU)
    Will contact seller again on Monday. Hope buggy software.

10. glennhl

glennhl Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Did you hook up the RCA's from the back of the unit to the Scosche adapter? What other wires did you hook up? I may try that. I assume you have to use the "internal amp" setting on the Ottonavi unit.

Also, what is the model number of the Scosche adapter? Thanks.

11. mbarkh

mbarkh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I use RCA Cables from unit and connect to Schosche using color code on manual
    From big connector I used only red, yellow and black wires (see picture).
    AMP wire from unit I connect to blue white.

Interface model: Schosche TA07SR
    Unit Interface change to I-Amp

Attached Files:

12. evtran

evtran New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi guys,

Can someone from this thread send me the information on where to download the latest firmware for this unit and what steps are needed to upgrade it? I went to the product site and it wasn't very helpful (Chinese site - RoadRover). Please send it to me via PM if possible.

Thanks for your help!

13. evtran

evtran New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Can Anyone help? Thanks.

14. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    For what it's worth, in my experience, distorted sound from speakers is usually due to under amplification. Over amplification will simply blow your speakers. :(