1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

distraction

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Oct 12, 2011.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ten days ago, I learned about this:

Bob's Dragonfly Project

The $4,500 was the right price but I needed to see it in person. So this past weekend, I drove to Canton Il:

Bob's Inspection

Tuesday, I took a personal day and after some fact-finding, mailed the check. It will take a couple of weeks before I can bring the plane from Canton to Huntsville but either by November 11 weekend or over Thanksgiving, that plane will be home in Alabama. A 20+ year old dream comes true.

In 1976, I bought a Cherokee 140 and hired a flight instructor. I also bought a motorcycle since if it is safe to fly it is safe to ride a motorcycle. But in 1980, I had to choose between the wife and the plane and we are still married.

I looked long and hard at different aircraft and decided the Dragonfly was the right plane for me. It has high aspect wings with low wing loading. The designer, Bob Walters, did it right and in 1996, I bought the plans hoping to find time and space to build it. Then 10 days ago, I learned this plane was available.

My Prius studies often generated detailed performance charts even if not understood by others but this is how we do things in aviation. It is not opinion but physics and careful measurements, often expressed in charts and graphs, that we gain insights to fly safely.

Aviation also teaches that safety has to be addressed and discussed openly and without rancor. Nobody likes FAA regulations but they were written in blood. We choose to follow them because they also conform to how we like to fly and sometimes stay on the ground to fly tomorrow.

Finally, flying requires absolute honesty, especially with ourselves. The are old and there are bold pilots but there are no old and bold pilots. That also means sometimes admitting you've made a mistake and if you search for 'bwilson4web' and 'apology', you'll get hits.

It isn't that I'm giving up on my Prius studies but this evening, I learned about a better way to mount the engine in my Dragonfly. So I'm already planning how I will retrofit this modification on my plane that is still in Canton Il.

It is more accurate to say if I have some Dragonfly stuff to do, it will be done first. As for Prius stuff, it won't have as much of my time as it had in the past. Not because I don't like my Prius and hybrids in general but if I screw up the Dragonfly, I and/or my wife might die . . . the infrequent Prius accidents are survivable.

So don't read anything into my reduced participation Prius affairs other than I might be distracted with my new airplane!

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

3 people like this.
  2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    At first, w/o reading your post, my reaction was "wow, welcome back!" Hope you're able to at least participate a little in Priuschat again. I've always welcomed your experiments, data, analysis, etc.

If you hadn't noticed, Toyota will be belling 2012+ hybrids...

Be safe w/that plane! With my lack of knowledge of aviation and plane repair (0), I wouldn't feel comfortable w/such a project, but that's just me.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cool!

Is Bob really back, or is this just a special celebrity appearance?

Some of us will be too distracted by this new airplane to notice any reduced Prius participation.

5. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If the brakes use 5606 there shouldn't be any fiberglass deterioration. Can't speak to other fluids. The severe leakage beneath both cylinders indicates flawed seal design, since both are affected. Might be worth it to update the cylinders, if such are available. Interesting that the brakes aren't disk (or don't appear to be disk). Being a taildragger makes the brakes critical: they have to work with no stickiness or grabbing or lag (although the thing is so light a groundloop might only scratch the paint).

Was not impressed with the way the wiring was secured in the engine compartment, too many lines zip-tied directly to the mounts, which allows them to slip and chafe. Should be nothing but adel clamps out there, to withstand the heat as well as properly anchor the wiring. That's preferred for certificated aircraft, anyway - perhaps things are more lax with experimental.

Enjoy your new toy!!

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome back dude, we missed you.

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Welcome back Bob. You don't need introduction. :)

8. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Glad you're back!

9. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Welcome back Sir you were missed by many. Nice airplane congratulations on living your dreams!

Check the master cylinders for a vent cap or bleed screw that may be loose or it might just be leaking from sitting around. If nothing is loose some new seals and those master cylinders should be fine.

Are you planning on flying it down from IL to AL?

10. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I also did a double take thinking this was another ancient thread resurrection but was pleased to see it's not. Welcome back! You were missed.

I know you're excited about your new dragonfly. I'm envious. My concern is why is there any hydraulic fluid leakage "at all" in the brake pedal area.

11. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Welcome back Bob.

12. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Bob--welcome back from me as well. Very nice little plane there, looks like a great project plane--enough stuff to work on to keep you occupied, but not a major tear-down rebuild. I still fantasize that, one day, I'll get back into the cockpit--maybe once my kids head to college.

13. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Cool distraction Bob... :plane: