1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Distributor added accessories

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by briloop, May 6, 2007.

1. briloop

briloop Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    My wife and I are planning to buy a 2008 Prius. We want to buy a regular Prius with package 2.

This weekend, we looked at some models available on the lots of two dealers when the dealers were closed.

Almost without exception, all of the cars on the two lots came with distributor added accessories. We live in Texas and the distributor is Gulf States Toyota. The distributor added package in most cases was the Extra Mile Option Package "A" (which is a lot of foo-foo like floor mats, cargo net, roadside asst, first aid kit, etc). This accessory package is sticker priced more than $1,000.

We are planning to buy in November or December 2007.

How can we avoid this and any other distributor-installed or dealer-installed accessory package?

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(briloop @ May 6 2007, 01:55 PM) [snapback]436446[/snapback]</div>
    Tell the dealer you don't want it. If they insist, go to another dealer until you find one that will leave it off. I personally like the mats and the cargo net, but not for $1,000.

If you can't find a dealer in your city, check the internet in the rural areas. If they won't deal either, consider going out of state and driving back. Would make a nice little vacation. Others have done that to get the exact color and package they want.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(briloop @ May 6 2007, 01:55 PM) [snapback]436446[/snapback]</div>
    At my dealer after you buy the car you get 15% off parts and accessories. If you can't get the discount on the mats when you buy the car, order them from the parts department after. IMO you will want floor mats and the rear bumper applique.

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You'll also want the cargo cover if it's not included.

5. sln1967

sln1967 New Member

It is possible, at least it was back in 2001 when I bought my PreRunner. I also live in Texas (Austin) and after talking to all of the local dealers I was able to find one willing to request the exact build I wanted without any Gulf States port installed options. Even that dealer played dumb at first and we went around and around until they finally agreed to do it. They will tell you that they can only request the build, that there is no guarantee that it will be built and that it can take months to get it in. I think it took three or four months to get my PreRunner but it was worth it.

By the way, I am about to start looking for a 2007 touring package #6 with no PIO's here in Austin. I'll let you know if I find a dealer that is willing to cooperate.

Steve

6. sln1967

sln1967 New Member

Follow up. I emailed the four local Toyota dealers back in May. Peter Molina (Internet Manager) at San Marcos Toyota was the only one to respond. He agreed to order my 2007 touring package #6 with no PIO's. It is scheduled to arrive the first week of September.

So yes, it is possible to get what you want without any distributor-installed or dealer-installed accessory packages.

Good luck!