1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Divert excess regen power to bank of resistors to speed warmup

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by briank101, Oct 30, 2015.

1. briank101

briank101 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Gen III when braking can only put anything from 5-19 kW back into the traction battery depending on battery temperature/condition/SOC with anything beyond going to the friction brakes. In cold weather with a cold battery, the max the battery can absorb is much closer to being <10 kW, which for most Prius drivers (hypermilers excepted) is very light braking. So an idea may be to incorporate serveral banks of resistors to absorb the excess regen power from braking whose heat could be electrically dissipated into the various engine, transmission and catalytic converter components. This should both speed up engine and transmission oil/coolant warm up, catalytic converter warm up and significantly reduce brake pad wear. A lot of the inefficiencies of the Prius are during warm up, that is engine and transmission oil being viscous, and coolant and catalytic converter temps taking time to warm up to operating temperature (which keeps the engine on for longer). I realize this would not benefit someone who does very light braking in the warm up phase, but that would be the minority. Also it's just resistive heating so components should be relatively cheap. Savings in brake wear alone should make it cost effective. At very high engine temperatures or very hot weather, excess current (up to a certain level) could be diverted to a separate resistor bank (maybe at rear of car) controlled by the ECU. This principal of dynamic braking has been used for years on diesel electric locomotives by the railroad industry. What previously would be regarded as waste heat would be put to good use and even hypermilers would not feel so bad braking hard during the warm up phase or when they hit that unexpected red light as it will warm up the coolant.

#1 briank101, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
    Robert Holt likes this.
  2. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That would theoretically help sometimes, but I'm skeptical such a system would help sufficiently to justify the added overall cost, mass, and complication. The surplus energy available from that hard braking will be a lot less than the waste heat that has already gone into the heating the engine etc. in the process of building up the no-longer-wanted kinetic and potential energy you're trying to recover. (An exception would be a trip that starts with an immediate major descent while the engine is still cold.) You might achieve somewhat the same effect more simply by using "B" mode to decelerate, which transforms braking energy into frictional heat in the engine.

Robert Holt likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I can imagine a 10 kW resistor bank fitting more easily on a locomotive than on a Prius. I wonder if it would be less bulky to just loop some fat wire around the engine block some, and have the inverter feed it AC at such a frequency that it inductively heats the block, directly.

We'll figure out how to split your patent proceeds later. :)

-Chap

Robert Holt likes this.
  4. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I vote for a huge array of red LEDs on the rear bumper,to,absorb that sudden pulse of electricity. If I am braking that hard , I really want the person directly behind me to know about it!
    To me it sounded like the B mode engaged a version of engine-compression braking, which would be more transferring the energy to compressing and heating air, no? Still trying to understand this dang thing.
    While we're at it, does anyone have a list of the rules that keep the ICE on?
    So far I have:
    1. Start ICE 6 seconds after "READY" light illuminates on a cold start.
    2. Start ICE if battery level is below 2 bars.
    3. Keep ICE running if coolant temp is below about 95 degrees F.
    4. Start ICE if demanded acceleration exceeds the available motor-powered acceleration.
    5. Start ICE when speed exceeds 42 mph (hatchback).
    But there are times when none of those conditions are true and yet the ICE either kicks on or refuses to shut off, and I am tearing what little remaining hair I have out trying to figure out what mode its in and why it insists on having the ICE running.
    A little help, please?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm in, let me know when you've got the kits ready for sale.

6. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, throwing away energy by mechanically forcing an engine to spin faster is commonly called "compression braking," but most of the energy the piston puts into compressing air in the up-stroke is returned, spring-like, by the air to the piston during the down-stroke. Some of it admittedly isn't, but friction (in bearings, cams, rings, oil pump, etc.) is predominant.

3b. Keep engine running if cabin heat is requested and coolant temperature is below about 150°F.

You might want to study the warm-up stages that are described in a sticky thread in this site.

#6 CR94, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
    Robert Holt likes this.
  7. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I think that the proposal is a complete waste of energy.............
    maybe in the case of the resistor bank, one can apply a toaster over for the radical grilled cheese hour's devre.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If the air entered and left the cylinder at the same pressure, this would be true.

However, during compression braking, air enters the cylinder under the strong vacuum of the intake manifold (throttle valve mostly closed), then exits at full atmospheric pressure. The result is a fairly substantial power put into 'pumping loss', quite separate from the mechanical friction processes.

For another view, ignore the compression and expansion strokes, as those balance out on a traditional Otto-cycle engine without variable valve timing. (The Prius Atkinson cycle is more complex, but the end result is similar). Instead, compare the intake stroke to the exhaust stroke, which display considerable pressure differences.

9. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, there are pumping losses, but the amount of air so processed per cycle is relatively small with the throttle closed, especially at increased engine speed.

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It isn't the mass flow rate that matters. It is the volume flow rate (i.e. cylinder volume times number of cylinders pumped per second) times the pressure differential. This adds up to several kilowatts.

The closed throttle increases the pressure differential and strengthens the effect. An open throttle lets a lot more air through, but shrinks the pressure differential and total loss from this particular mechanism.

11. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    fuzzy1,

You are correct. My previous statement about the low mass flow rate was true in one limited sense, (loss due to throttling flow at the throttle valve itself), but I admit it was inaccurate in the bigger picture, mainly because it didn't consider what happens during the exhaust stroke, specifically the increase in cylinder pressure due to back-flow. That pumping loss would of course occur even if (hypothetically) the throttle were closed completely air-tight.

Nevertheless, I still maintain the common "compression braking" expression is inaccurate. Closer, although cumbersome, would be "suction (pumping)+friction+miscellaneous-losses braking." "Friction" can be further subdivided into several categories.

Thanks

12. Maarten28

Maarten28 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't get this proposal. All the energy you generate by braking goes into the HV batterypack anyway. So why waste it in a resistor grid? If it is the limited amount of energy you can generate, that is due to the size of the electric motor. A Tesla can generate 60 kW of brakingpower since it has much more powerful electric motors. So instead of adding a (pretty much) useless resistor grid, just fit a bigger electric motor.

13. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Get a toaster oven and rip of the benefits with the grill cheese!!!!

14. briank101

briank101 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No. Anything above 6 kW to 20 kW (depending on HV battery conditions) is dissipated as heat due to friction braking. MG2 is rated at 60 kW so there's potentially up to 40-54 kW of excess power that could be diverted to catalytic converter warm up in addition to warm up of the other components mentioned that impact the engine-off temperature threshold.

From a pollution standpoint a "cat" that is up to temperature sooner start reducing pollutants sooner, and could be the reason why the engine does not go off sooner despite all the other conditions met above in post #4. It is often mentioned here that the transmission drag has a fairly significant impact on mpg until warmed up.

Regarding cost, there should be very cheap ways (when produced in volume and/or at the design stage) to add resistive heating elements to the component mentioned as well as control relays to optimally direct the excess power.

When one sees that Consumer reports gets 32 mpg (city) in the Prius Gen 3, you can make a judgment call that this is more representative of you regular Joe/Jane driver and their braking habits. Going by my wife who brakes more like the "Jane" driver, I would estimate she normally brakes in the 30 kW to 60 kW range of going by seat of the pants estimates, and goes a long way of explaining why she got 37 mpg on a 6 mile trip to her college where I got 45 mpg on that same destination where both in both cases the trip started out with a 60 degree F coolant temp (inside garage) and outdoor temp was 40 F. The main difference was both the braking strategy and the fact that I turn off the heat until engine is up to 145 F. We both accelerate fairly quickly about in the right end of the PWR zone in the HSI. Anything that would help the Joe/Jane (Consumer Reports) Prius driver to improve that 32 city mpg would be a good thing especially in winter. The reality may be the Prius owner will save more on brake jobs than they might on fuel over the life of the car if this strategy (or some version of it) could be implemented, but they should save on both and saving on pollution will be a nice bonus.

I suspect the EPA city MPG figure is produced from more moderate braking which I suspect whose average braking profile lies closer to the 20 kW that the Prius can recover. This may be the reason Toyota will never implement this because the official EPA city mpg improvement might be little improved, however I'm sure the Consumer Report's (CR) city mpg and average Joe/Jane mpg could be improved significantly.

Ever notice how in most cases, CR exceeds the highway EPA mpg figure and nearly always gets lower than the city EPA mpg figure, I think the braking profile is the key.

#14 briank101, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had assumed Consumer Reports 32 MPG CITY rating was bogus as nobody sees that low. Do we know why CR gets 32 MPG? Cold engine I was thinking.

16. briank101

briank101 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They brake harder, like "normal" people.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what do we care about normal people?:p

18. Maarten28

Maarten28 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok, I what I mean is "as long as you keep your braking in the CHG region".
    That's why I say it is a better option to fit a bigger electric motor so you can brake harder electrically. That way, all the regen braking can be used all the time (as long as the HV battery is not full, but you can use that, as you say, for electric heating).

My point is: better fit a bigger motor than a resistor grid.

19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A bigger motor will just make the car heavier.

The limiting factor for regen today is the limited charge rate of the battery, which cannot accept anything near the 60 kW capacity of MG2.

CR94 likes this.