1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY 12 volt and hybrid install 2005 that's been sitting for 2 years

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Udoitgirlgo, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Udoitgirlgo

Udoitgirlgo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am taking on a DIY install for my 2005 prius that has been sitting for 2 years. I would like to bring it back to life. The battery was diagnosed 2 years ago and it needed a new hybrid battery. It also needed a new 12 volt battery. I have disassembled the interior parts and I took out the 12 volt. The original hybrid battery is still installed. I am preparing to install the new 12 volt battery and need help going from that point on.I plan on installing a new toyota pack myself. I am tech savy and mechanically inclined however, I have never worked on a prius.I gues I need to know what to do once the 12 volt is installed. Should I buy the obd2 dongle and run a diagnostic with Dr. Prius? If so, what app do you recommend?

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    IF.....you are really convinced that the HV battery is BAD, I see no reason to do any diagnostics in between changing the two individual batteries.

Just be sure that your new 12 V is fully charged and see what the car tells you when you try to start it.
    Then move on the the big battery.

kenoarto likes this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yes on Dr. Prius app... Here's buyer's guide for dongle: Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus

If you're lucky and there's still enough power left in the hybrid pack and you can start the car up... Do a force charge of hybrid pack by putting car in drive, foot on brake and floor the gas pedal...

It's possible that problem with pack is corroded parts that can be cheaply replaced. Once you have Dr. Prius app let us know the error codes and sub codes and we can help with further diagnosis.

Also there's lots of youtube videos on how to safely disarm a high voltage pack and remove it.

4. Udoitgirlgo

Udoitgirlgo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just want to thank you for all the help I have received since reaching out to the Prius chat community.
    Im going to take my time and follow the instructions step by step. First I will start with the 12 volt installation and wait to see what the car does. I will keep you all posted as I go along . As a DIY & Newbie it's a great feeling to know that If I have any questions along the way I can turn to Prius chat for answers.

5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Is it safe to assume that you already own a multi-meter and a small automatic battery charger ?

Those two "tools" are more useful than the OBD stuff......because they are handy to have in other situations too.

6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    An OEM 2005 HV battery sitting unused for 2 years is going to be interesting. I had one sit for about a year in my garage (it had one module swapped about 2 months before being removed), installed it in another 2005 and the beast fired right up. Sometimes you just never know until you try.

PriusCamper likes this.